Cookie Policy

This website works best using cookies. You can find out more and change your settings any time but by continuing you agree to this.

Council Services:

Concessionary Travel - Bus Passes

The English National Concessionary Travel Scheme allows all eligible older and disabled people to travel free on off-peak scheduled bus services anywhere in England.

Off peak hours are between 9.30am–11pm Monday to Friday and all day on weekends and bank holidays. Local Authorities are allowed, at their discretion and own cost, to provide additional concessions for the benefit of local residents which can be subject to change. In Lincolnshire, the County Council currently allows Lincolnshire pass holders to travel free of charge on Local Journeys before 9.30am on weekdays.

Details of the eligibility criteria and other scheme information can be found in the Concessionary Bus Travel Brochure which can be downloaded from this page.

Who is eligible for a concessionary bus pass

From 6th April 2010 the age of eligibility for women will be pension age and for men it will be the pensionable age of a woman born on the same day. The Pension age for women is rising by five years over a ten year period and the eligible age for a bus pass will rise gradually over this period. The date you will be eligible for a bus pass will depend on the month in which you were born and it will not fall on your birthday.

Enter your date of birth on Directgov’s State Pension Age Calculator to find out when you are eligible to receive a bus pass.

How to apply for your concessionary bus pass

You can apply for a concessionary bus pass in a variety of ways, either:

  • Download your application form via the Downloads below
  • Collect your application form from your local District Council Office or Library
  • Request an application form by emailing
  • Collect your application form in person from City Hall, Beaumont Fee, Lincoln, LN1 1DN;

Downloaded or hard copy forms must be completed and returned by post with the relevant documents and photograph to the address on the application form. Alternatively visit the Concessionary Fares Team at City Hall in Lincoln who will be able to issue you pass whilst you wait.

Your photograph can be captured at the time of application, but don't forget to bring evidence of eligibility with you.

If you have any questions regarding concessionary travel scheme please use the contact details at the bottom of the page.

All applications should be made via post no earlier than 21 days in advance of your eligibility date. Alternatively, once you have reached your eligibility date you can visit the customer services centre at City Hall, Lincoln, Mondays to Fridays between 9.30am and 4pm and apply in person for your pass. Passes can be issued on site.

How to renew your concessionary bus pass

There is no fee for renewing your pass.

You will need to provide a passport sized photo (unless you are applying in person); plus proof (dated within the last six months) that you are a Lincolnshire resident and that you are of an age or have a disability which will qualify you for a pass.

You can renew your Lincolnshire Concessionary pass by Post, by visiting City Hall or by email to

Renewal application forms are available from libraries, District Council offices and can be downloaded below.

Replacing a lost or stolen concessionary bus pass

If a pass is lost or damaged there will normally be a £10 administration charge for a replacement unless your pass was stolen and you can provide a valid police crime number. You will also need to provide Proof of Residency before a pass can be issued. This can be proved using an official document with your name and address, e.g. Bank Statement, Utility Bill, Prescription and DWP Correspondence. This however must be dated within the last 6 months. Your Local Council Tax bill for the current year will also be acceptable.

Paying for your lost or damaged concessionary bus pass

Please make all cheques payable to: 'Lincolnshire County Council' or alternatively payment can be made online.

Please go to the Online Payment System and select 'Older & Disabled Concessionary Replacement Pass' from the drop down list to make an online payment for a new pass to replace one that has been damaged or lost.

If paying online you will still need to submit proof of residency before a replacement pass can be issued.

Certain types of services are excluded from the English National Bus Pass scheme which include:

  • Services where most seats can be reserved (eg National Express or other long distance services)
  • Rail Replacement Bus Services
  • Park & Ride Services
  • Coach Excursions & Tours
  • Taxis & Private Hire Cars
  • Trains
  • Certain seasonal Services
  • Community Transport Schemes


Did you find what you were looking for?

Please give us your name, email address and any comments you have.

Last updated: 27 January 2015

Bookmark with:

What are these?


Powered by Webstructure.NET