Cookie Policy

This website works best using cookies. You can find out more and change your settings any time but by continuing you agree to this.

Council Services:

Financial assessment and charging

Many people will have to pay something towards the care they receive, and some people will have to pay the full amount, depending on their personal circumstances. The following information explains what happens in a financial assessment, how your charges are calculated and how to pay for your care.

A Financial Information Pack containing guidance and advice for service users and their families on Direct Payments, Self-Funders, Non-Residential Adult Care Contributions Policy, and Residential Care Charging is available in the Downloads section at the bottom of this page.

Financial assessment

If you are eligible to receive support, we will carry out a financial assessment to determine how much you will pay towards the cost of your care.

If you choose not to have a financial assessment, you will be responsible for paying the full cost of your care and support.

The Serco Financial Assessment and Income Collection Team (FAICT) will ask you to fill in a financial assessment form about your savings, investments, assets, income and expenditure.

The FAICT will then carry out an assessment of your financial circumstances, either by correspondence, telephone or home visit, to determine the maximum weekly contribution you can afford. They will also check your benefit entitlement and direct you to the help you may need to claim any benefits you are entitled to.

Your assessable income will be worked out and compared with the cost of providing care. You will then be notified of the weekly amount you will be required to pay, and sent a letter to confirm this amount.

Residential and nursing care

Residential and nursing homes are designed to support you if you have needs which mean you can no longer remain in your own home. Some homes offer residential and nursing care support.

Residential care

Residential homes all charge different amounts, depending on the facilities they provide and the amount of care that you need. We can tell you how much each of these homes charge, or you can contact them directly. Please remember that this information will only act as a guide and that different rules will apply in some circumstances. We will do our best to give you the financial facts and explain the charges.

If your residential stay is not expected to last for more than 56 days (8 weeks), there is a fixed flat weekly charge which varies for different age groups. From April 2018, these charges are:

  • 18 to 24 years - £72.11 per week
  • 25 to 59 years - £89.16 per week
  • 60 years and over - £138.02 per week

However, if you have savings over £23,250, or you do not want to give us details of your finances, you will have to pay the full cost of your stay. Please note that rather than paying at the fixed flat rate, you can ask for a full financial assessment if you would prefer that option.

Nursing care

If you are in a registered nursing home, the NHS will currently pay £158.16 each week towards the cost of your care. You will still pay a contribution for other accommodation charges and this will be worked out in the normal way. In most cases, receiving free nursing care will not affect how much you pay towards your care.

How your residential care charges are calculated

Charges for residential care are calculated in line with the guidance on charging for residential care, as set out in the Care Act 2014. This replaces the former CRAG guidance.

The financial assessment takes into account:

  • any pensions or wages you receive
  • Pension Credit
  • Income Support
  • any extra benefits you may be entitled to claim

Disability Living Allowance and Attendance Allowance are not taken into account as part of your income.

Your savings or capitalYour contribution
Below £14,250These savings will not be taken into account in your financial assessment.
Between £14,250 and £23,250For every £250, or part £250, that you have over £14,250, £1 will be taken into account as weekly income.
Above £23,250You will pay the full cost of your care.


Usually, if you are moving into residential care, the value of your home will be taken into account unless any of the following apply:

  • Your husband, wife or partner continues to live there
  • A relative aged 60 or over continues to live there
  • A relative under 60 who receives certain disability allowances continues to live there
  • A child under 16 who you are financially responsible for continues to live there

Twelve week property disregard

The Council may help with the cost of your care during the first twelve weeks of permanent care if:

  • your home is included in the financial assessment
  • your other capital is less than £23,250, and
  • your income is not enough to meet the care home fees

This means the property is not counted as an asset when calculating your contributions for the first 12 weeks of permanent care.

You may not be eligible for the 12 week disregard facility if you did not live in your property prior to going in to long term residential care.

Deferred Payment Agreements

Under the Universal Deferred Payment Scheme, should you choose to join, a Deferred Payment Agreement can take place. This means that after the twelve week property disregard period the council may be able to lend you the cost of your care. Interest will accrue throughout the loan and until repayment is made. There is also a one up set up fee of £600 which can also be deferred.

You, or your estate, will need to repay us when the house is sold or you no longer require residential care.

Further information regarding the twelve week property disregard and the Deferred Payment Agreements in the Customer Contributions section of the Adult Care Procedures Manual.

Services provided in the community

Social care services in the community, also known as ‘non-residential care’, can include home care and personal support, telecare equipment and alarms, day care or day opportunities and community supported living.

Depending on how much money you have and the cost of your services, you may have to pay something towards the cost. We will look at your finances with you and then work out how much you have to pay.

Please remember that this information is a general guide only and that in some circumstances different rules will apply.

How your non-residential care charges are calculated

From April 2016, contributions to non-residential care are being assessed in accordance with the revised Non-residential Adult Care Contributions Policy.

Where a person has a personal budget, the charge will be based on 100% of that personal budget.

If you already use our services and are not on a personal budget, please contact us for an explanation of how your charges are calculated.

Everyone has to pay the full cost of any meals or transport, but you may be able to get help with other charges. You will be asked to fill out a financial assessment form to see if you qualify for financial support.

Your financial assessment will take into account:

  • any pensions you receive
  • Income Support
  • the Guarantee Credit part of Pension Credit
  • Attendance Allowance
  • the care component of Disability Living Allowance
  • other social security benefits

An amount for your living costs will be deducted. We will then look at how much is left.

When completing your financial assessment, we do not take into account:

  • any wages or salary you may receive
  • Mobility Allowance
  • the mobility component of Disability Living Allowance
  • War Disability Pension
  • War Widows Pension
  • War Widows Supplementary Pension
  • the Savings Credit part of Pension Credit

We will take into account any savings you may have. If you have savings over £23,250, you will have to pay the full cost of any services you receive. Any savings between £14,250 and £23,250 will also be taken into account when we decide how much you will have to pay.

We charge 100% of the actual cost for care and support. Depending on how much money you have and the cost of your services, you may have to pay something towards the cost of your care or you may not have to pay anything at all.

From 1st April 2018 this will no longer be a maximum charge for your care. A financial assessment will be carried out to calculate the contribution to be paid by the person using services.

You will not have to sell the house you live in to pay for any services that you receive. However, if you own any other land or property, we will take the value of this into account.

How to pay for your care

Contributions will start 14 days after you were sent the initial financial assessment form, providing your care has started.

Your contribution will be collected, or will become payable, every 4 weeks according to a regular schedule. You will receive a statement every 4 weeks which shows how much is due.

You can pay your contributions by:

  • Direct debit
  • Allpay - payment card
  • Direct Payment - from which you pay your provider directly


If you are paying the full cost of your care, you are known as a self-funder. This means that:

  • you have chosen not to approach Adult Care for help, or
  • you have been assessed but you are not currently eligible for services, or
  • you are eligible for services, but you have assets or savings over £23,250

You can choose to use the services of an independent social worker to help support you in your choice of care home if you are self-funding, and you can choose and pay for the services you feel you need.

The Council can help you to make arrangements for your community support using our brokerage and procurement arrangements. However, we will charge you a one-off arrangement fee of £445. The arrangement fee will only apply to you if you are financially assessed being a self-funder and you have asked the Council to arrange and manage your care package.

What to do if your circumstances change

Whether you are supported with the cost of your care, or you are a self-funder, you will need to let us know if your financial circumstances change and you may need the Council to support you with the cost of your care. A new financial assessment may need to be completed or your benefits entitlement may need to be reviewed.

The amount you are due to pay will be reassessed each year.

Contact Us

Did you find what you were looking for?

Please give us your name, email address and any comments you have.

Last updated: 24 April 2018

Bookmark with:

What are these?


Powered by Webstructure.NET