Cookie Policy

This website works best using cookies. You can find out more and change your settings any time but by continuing you agree to this.

Council Services:

Supported living and shared lives

In Lincolnshire, supported living and shared lives schemes are designed to help people with disabilities to remain in their community.

Whatever environment you want to live in and whatever you need support with, there are different types of schemes that can help you. A scheme relates to the type and level of support you receive, rather than the type of accommodation.

Supported living

This type of scheme is sometimes called ‘floating support’, ‘visiting support’ or ‘tenancy sustainment’.

Care Quality Commission (CQC) define supported living as “Where people live in their own home and receive care and/or support in order to promote their independence…The support that people receive is often continuous and tailored to their individual needs. It aims to enable the person to be as autonomous and independent as possible, and usually involves social support rather than medical care.

The premise of supported living is that you choose where you want to live and what support you receive, rather than you needing to fit in with a service or scheme. You may choose to live by yourself, or in a house share with other people who have similar needs to you. The scheme is designed to support you to live a normal life as part of your community, with the support you need being brought into your home.

You can learn more about supported living schemes on the Housing and Support Alliance (H&SA) website and the Mencap website

Shared lives

These schemes are sometimes known as ‘adult placement’.

Many different people have found independence through shared lives schemes. These schemes are designed to support people from many different backgrounds. Some ways that people have benefited include:

  • finding independence
  • learning or relearning the skills they need to live independently
  • enjoying life as part of a family and making new friends
  • joining with their family’s community
  • having a safe place to help them get ready to move into their own home

These schemes are either run by the local authority or come under the management of a registered shared lives scheme. Shared lives carers are ordinary people who have been trained and DBS checked.

If you join a shared lives scheme, you will live with the family you have been matched with. They will help you to live independently and give you the chance to make your own choices. You can learn more about shared lives schemes on the Shared Lives Plus website and Adult Supporting Adults (ASA) website.

Whichever scheme you choose

You can choose the services of an advocate, an independent social worker or an Adult Care social worker to help you to decide which type of scheme will suit you and help you to make arrangements.

If your savings and assets come to less than £23,250 and you need financial support from the local authority, you will need an Adult Care assessment and a financial assessment. You may need to choose your support or service from the providers who are commissioned by Adult Care.

If your savings and assets come to more than £23,250 and you ask Adult Care to arrange your support, you may be required to pay a fee.

Contact Us

Did you find what you were looking for?

Please give us your name, email address and any comments you have.

Last updated: 21 June 2016

Bookmark with:

What are these?


Powered by Webstructure.NET