Cookie Policy

This website works best using cookies. You can find out more and change your settings any time but by continuing you agree to this.

Council Services:

Transitions into adulthood

When a young person with a physical or learning disability, or long term condition is approaching adulthood and needs practical support, they can ask us to look at their social care needs as an adult. In order to work out what these needs are, we will need to carry out an assessment.

Assessment is the process of gathering and sharing information to build an understanding of your situation. We will work with the young person, carers and we may involve working with other professionals who know them well.

What does this mean?

An Education, Health and Care plan will have been completed for most young people with support needs who are referred to Adult Care.  This will reflect their needs in relation to Education, Health and Care and will include social care needs to enable them to pursue their goals to live as independently as possible. Transition preparations for young people with special education needs,  and an Education Health and Care (EHC) plan, begin in year 9 (age 13-14).

The Transition Assessment should be undertaken alongside the reviews of the EHC plan, and should inform the plan for transition from children’s to adult services. Before the young person turns 18 a Transition Assessment must be carried out if it considered that the young person is likely to have care and support needs when they turn 18, and if it is of ‘significant benefit’ to carry out an assessment at that time. Not all young people who have care and support needs will be known to Children’s Services but may have support needs when they turn 18.

Transition Assessments need to be carried out early enough so that the right care and support is in place when the young person moves to Adult Care. However, the timing of the assessment will depend on the individual needs of the young person.  Care must be taken to arrange assessments with minimal disruption to the young person’s life. This may include avoiding times such as when the young person is sitting exams, or working with other agencies to combine multiple appointments, for example.

There are two conditions to when an assessment should take place:

  • When those involved are confident about what the young person’s needs will be when they turn 18
  • When it is clear that there will be a significant benefit for  the assessment to be completed at that time

It may be that a young person is likely to have need for care and support after turning 18, but it is not yet of significant benefit to carry out an assessment,  in such cases an alternative time for the assessment should be agreed.

When a young person reaches adulthood the services provided may change. This could mean that they are no longer eligible for the same services, or that different services are needed to support them or their carer.

How much does it cost?

You should be aware that some adult services may have to be paid for, but the amount you pay will depend on what services you receive and upon your personal financial circumstances. You may be able to get help with the costs and we will help you fill out a financial assessment form to see if you qualify for financial help.

We may arrange services for you but there are other ways of getting the support you need. You can choose to have a Personal Budget and use the money you receive from us to arrange your own support.

How to get in touch

Adult Care’s Transitions function is provided by the Intake Team which is part of the Learning Disability Service Area. The Intake Team work in partnership with Children’s Services to support young people with learning disabilities and physical disabilities, who are moving into adulthood and are anticipated to require Adult Care involvement after they turn 18

If you are already receiving services before turning 18 then please speak to your practitioner. If not, and you are over 18, then the Customer Service Centre should be your first point of contact for all  general enquiries. You can contact them from 8am to 6pm Monday to Friday by telephone on 01522 782155 or email:

When you contact us we’ll discuss your situation over the phone, check that we’ve got all our facts straight and then  in some circumstances, follow this up with a Transition Assessment

Contact Us

Did you find what you were looking for?

Please give us your name, email address and any comments you have.

Last updated: 5 December 2017

Bookmark with:

What are these?


Powered by Webstructure.NET