Cookie Policy

This website works best using cookies. You can find out more and change your settings any time but by continuing you agree to this.

Council Services:

Reporting Concerns

If you think someone is being abused or you think their safety is at risk, then it is important to tell someone.

If you’re worried about an adult and think they may be a victim of neglect, abuse or cruelty, please call the Customer Service Centre (CSC) on 01522 782155.

Outside office hours contact the Emergency Duty Team on 01522 782333.

You do not need to know everything about the situation or what is happening. You may just be worried, or feel that something is not right.

If you believe that a crime has been committed and there is an immediate risk of danger, telephone the police on 999 or 112. If a crime has been committed but there is no immediate danger, dial 101.

People who are deaf, hard of hearing or speech impaired can contact the police’s typetalk service. The typetalk landline numbers are 01522 558263 and 01522 558140, the mobile number is 07761 911287.

If you believe a child or young adult under the age of 18 years might be suffering, or is likely to suffer significant harm (including any mistreatment or abuse), contact the Children Services CSC on 01522 782111. If it is outside normal office hours you can contact the Emergency Duty Team on 01522 782333.

If you are concerned that you or someone you know is experiencing Domestic Abuse and you want advice or support:

  • If you live in Lincoln, West Lindsey, North Kesteven or South Kesteven, call 01427 616219 or 01522 510041
  • If you live in East Lindsey, call 01507 609830
  • If you live in Boston and South Holland, call 01205 318600 or 01205 311272

Reporting to the police

The police take any crime against an adult at risk seriously, and will investigate it thoroughly, professionally and compassionately. The police work very closely with partner agencies to ensure effective information sharing, risk assessment and decision-making takes place every time an incident of abuse is reported.

There are now special measures that can be put into place to help vulnerable people through the court process. These measures have allowed many people, who may once have been denied access to the criminal justice system, the opportunity to give their evidence in court. The police will discuss these special measures with victims at the earliest stage possible in the investigation.

Reporting to the local authority

Any allegation of neglect, abuse or cruelty will be investigated thoroughly, professionally and compassionately. The local authority work very closely with the alleged victim and partner agencies to ensure effective information sharing, risk assessment and decision-making takes place every time an incident of abuse is reported.

Reporting to the Emergency Duty Team (EDT)

The Emergency Duty Team operates outside of normal working hours, at weekends and during public holidays.

If a referral is made to the EDT service which indicates an immediate or urgent risk, the officer receiving the referral will take any steps necessary to protect the adult at risk, including arranging emergency medical treatment, contacting the police and taking any other appropriate action to ensure that the adult at risk is safe.

Whether or not any immediate action is necessary, the receiving officer will record the facts concerning the alleged abuse or neglect and pass all relevant information to the appropriate team on the next working day.

Practitioners reporting

All staff and volunteers have a duty to act in a timely manner on any concern or suspicion that an adult at risk is being, or is at risk of being, abused, neglected or exploited; and to ensure that the situation is assessed and investigated.

The first priority must always be to ensure the safety and protection of the adult at risk. The alleged victim should be made safe and evidence relating to the abuse should be preserved where possible.

Where safe and possible, the alleged perpetrator should not be in contact with the alleged victim or others who may be at risk.

Urgent referrals and contacts should initially be made by telephone. All practitioners must confirm verbal and telephone contacts or referrals in writing within 48 hours of being made.

Managers in health settings should report concerns as a ‘serious incident requiring investigation’ (SIRI), in line with clinical governance procedures. A decision must then be made whether the circumstances meet the criteria for referral to the Safeguarding Adults process, in line with the multi-agency safeguarding policy and procedures.


An adult at risk may benefit from the support of an independent advocate. There are two distinct types of advocacy, instructed and non-instructed:

  • Instructed advocates take their instructions from the person they are representing. For example, they will only attend meetings or express views with the permission of that person.
  • Non-instructed advocates work with people who lack the capacity to make decisions about how the advocate should represent them. Non-instructed advocates independently decide how best to represent the person.

More information can be obtained through the Total Voice website or you can phone them on 01522 702555.

Victim Support

Victim Support is a national charity which provides support for victims and witnesses of crime in England and Wales. It provides free and confidential help to family, friends and anyone else affected by crime. This includes information, emotional support and practical assistance. Help can be accessed either directly from local branches or through the Victim Support helpline 0845 30 30 900. Further information about Victim Support can be obtained through the Victim Support website.

Did you find what you were looking for?

Please give us your name, email address and any comments you have.

Last updated: 25 October 2016

Bookmark with:

What are these?


Powered by Webstructure.NET