Cookie Policy

This website works best using cookies. You can find out more and change your settings any time but by continuing you agree to this.

Council Services:

Driving and being driven

You may want to learn to drive or, if you are not be able to access public or private transport due to your disability or mobility issues, you may need someone to drive you.

Learning to drive a car

If you are thinking about learning to drive, there are some details you should know and some questions you may want to ask. Your instructor will be able to answer many of these questions for you.

Details you may want to know include:

  • what will I need to do before taking my practical test
  • is the instructor able to teach someone with my needs or disability
  • can I check if my instructor is registered
  • what tests will I need to do
  • how much will it cost and how long will it take

You can apply for your provisional licence 3 months before your 17th birthday, although it will not become valid until your birthday.

If you are in receipt of Disability Living Allowance, you can apply for your provisional licence 3 months before your 16th birthday, with it becoming valid on your 16th birthday.

To legally charge someone for driving lessons, an instructor must be on the Approved Driving Instructor (ADI) register or have a trainee’s ‘licence to give instruction’ issued by the ADI Registrar. Instructors must display their ADI registration badge in the front windscreen of their car.

The minimum age that you can apply for your driving licence depends on a number of factors, including the type of vehicle covered by your licence. The Driving & Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA)website provides more information about driving rules and driving licences in England.

The Driving Instructors Association (DIA) website includes information about learning to drive and a directory of qualified driving instructors in your area. We cannot confirm that all driving instructors in your area are listed in the DIA directory.

Community and voluntary car schemes

Community transport offers a number of different ways for people, who would otherwise be unable to get out and about, to visit shops and other local amenities.

These schemes use volunteers to provide transport for local people. You will be collected from your home by the driver and taken to your destination. In some cases the driver will wait until you are ready to return home, or you can arrange for a driver to come back for you.

You can book a journey through the scheme co-ordinator and they will inform you of the cost. Car schemes are run for the good of the community and do not make a profit; the money you pay simply covers the cost.

Visit the community transport webpage to find out more about car schemes or to find a scheme in your area.

Independent Travel Training (ITT)

ITT is facilitated by Independent Travel Trainers who will work closely with school staff, parents, carers and the trainees.

Anyone who is entitled to free home to school transport or Post 16 supported home to school/college transport is able to apply for Independent Travel Training.

Visit the Max Respect section to find out more about ITT

Contact Us

Did you find what you were looking for?

Please give us your name, email address and any comments you have.

Last updated: 10 February 2017

Bookmark with:

What are these?


Powered by Webstructure.NET