What is a personal budget?
If your adult care needs are high or complex you may be entitled to funding.
To find out if you are eligible, we will need to:
If you are eligible, we will draw up a plan to support your needs. The money you receive is called a personal budget and it allows you to:
- choose and control the support that is best for you
- be fully involved in decisions about the help you need to live independently
- support yourself in ways that suit you
Your personal budget will be made up of money from the council plus the charges you have been assessed to pay.
You can use this budget to buy the care and support you need, in one of the following ways:
- by receiving services commissioned or arranged by us
- as a direct payment – this means that you will be able to purchase your care and support yourself within your allocated personal budget
- as a managed account held by a third party, called an individual service fund or ISF, with support provided in line with your wishes
You must spend the money as per the agreed plan to support your needs.