Your personal budget

Deferred payment

We may help with the cost of your care during the first 12 weeks of permanent care if:

  • your home is included in the financial assessment
  • your other capital is less than £23,250
  • and, your income is not enough to meet the care home fees

Your home is not counted as an asset during this period.

You may not be eligible if you did not live in your property prior to going into long-term residential care.

Deferred payment agreement

A deferred payment agreement (DPA) is a loan from us against the value of your home to help you pay residential care home fees.

This means that you do not have to sell your home immediately to release money to pay for your care.

To enter into a DPA, you must:

  • be assessed by a social care worker as needing residential care
  • be living, or going to live, permanently in a residential care or nursing home
  • own, or partly own, your home
  • have savings and investments of less than £23,250 (not including your home)
  • have the mental capacity or have a legally-appointed person who will do this for you

A DPA means that the council may be able to lend you the cost of your care after the 12-week period. Interest will accrue until repayment is made. There is a setup fee of £600, which you can also defer.

You, or your estate, will need to repay us when the house is sold or you no longer require residential care.

For more advice, contact [email protected].