Cookie Policy

This website works best using cookies. You can find out more and change your settings any time but by continuing you agree to this.

Council Services:

Book a civil ceremony

You may be able to book a provisional date and time for your ceremony with our registration and celebratory service team more than a year in advance.

You must check that registration staff will be available to conduct your ceremony before paying deposits or booking anything else. To do this, call 01522 782244 between 8am and 6pm Monday to Friday and 9am and 4pm on Saturdays.

There is no charge for this service and you’ll be sent a confirmation form giving you a date by which you must give the registration service your Notice(s) of Marriage.

For more information on marriages and civil partnerships in the UK, visit

Notice of Marriage

You can give your Notice(s) of Marriage up to twelve months before your ceremony day. This will confirm your provisional booking. The Notice(s)are placed on public display for 28 clear days from the date they are given. Your ceremony cannot take place during this period of time.

Before booking an appointment, check that you fulfil the legal requirements for marriage or civil partnership and that you can provide the appropriate documents.

You can book an appointment by calling 01522 782244.

Ceremony plan

After you have given your notice(s) to the registration officer, if your ceremony is taking place in Lincolnshire, you will receive a ceremony plan to complete.

When complete, the ceremony plan will show your choices and requirements and it will help you to build a personal ceremony.

Your completed ceremony plan must be returned to the registration office conducting your ceremony a minimum of six weeks before the ceremony is due to take place.

There are three types of ceremony:

  • An enhanced ceremony
  • A standard ceremony
  • A legal ceremony

Each copy of your marriage certificate will cost £4, payable to registration officer on the day.

Find out more about each type of ceremony and the fees.

Ceremonies in special circumstances


In exceptional circumstances the 28 clear day notice period before a marriage can take place, can be waived by the Registrar General for England & Wales.

A ceremony can take place in an unlicensed venue such as hospital, hospice, prison or the home of a person who is ill, however, other criteria must be met before this is allowed.

Registrar General’s Licence

This allows the marriage or civil partnership of a terminally-ill person to go ahead any time or any place. This can be a religious marriage ceremony, however, for a Church of England ceremony, ask your local clergy about the Archbishop of Canterbury’s Special Licence.

Housebound or detained

Special arrangements can be made if a person is housebound through illness or detained and is likely to remain so for three months or more and cannot attend a place where ceremonies can be conducted.

For any queries about the marriage or civil partnership process, call 01522 782244 or email

Need an appointment?

For your convenience, you can book an appointment to register a Birth or Death online.


Did you find what you were looking for?

Please give us your name, email address and any comments you have.

Last updated: 20 December 2017

Bookmark with:

What are these?


Powered by Webstructure.NET