Cookie Policy

This website works best using cookies. You can find out more and change your settings any time but by continuing you agree to this.

Council Services:

Civil partnerships and same-sex marriage

Same-sex marriages give you the same legal rights as the marriages of opposite sex couples.

Civil partnerships give you the same legal rights given to married couples relating to:

  • pensions
  • life assurance
  • recognition under intestacy rules
  • being able to register the death of a partner and arrange the funeral.

You are able to book a provisional date and time for your ceremony with our registration and celebratory service team more than a year in advance.

To do this please call 01522 782244 between 8am and 6pm Monday to Friday and 9am and 4pm on Saturdays.

There is no charge for this service and you’ll be sent a confirmation form giving you a date by which you must give the registration service your Civil Partnership Notice.

You will also be required to bring a number of documents to the Registration Office. For more information on marriages and civil partnerships in the UK, visit

Civil Partnership Notice

You can give your Civil Partnership Notice up to twelve months before your ceremony day. To do this please call 01522 782244 between 8am and 6pm Monday to Friday and 9am and 4pm on Saturdays. This will confirm your provisional booking:

Civil partnership conversions

Conversions into marriage are available to couples who registered their civil partnership in England and Wales or overseas in a consulate or armed forces base (where the civil partnership was registered according to the law of England and Wales).

Couples will be able to convert their civil partnership into marriage using a one-stage or two-stage procedure where the conversion into marriage is followed by a ceremony.

The one-stage procedure

Civil partners may attend any register office in the County by appointment only. At this appointment, you will complete a declaration with details about yourselves and your civil partnership, together with evidence of your name, date of birth and address. You must also bring your civil partnership certificate. At this appointment you will sign the declaration to convert your civil partnership into a marriage and marriage certificates may be issued at a cost of £4 per certificate. There is a £45 cash fee payable for this procedure.

The two-stage procedure

Civil Partners may complete the above process but the declaration is not signed.

Stage 2: The signing of the declaration, which can be followed by a ceremony, can take place at the same range of venues where a marriage of same sex couples can occur:

  • Register office
  • Approved premises
  • Religious buildings registered for the marriage of same sex couples (including military, naval and air force chapels) where a ceremony under Section 46 of the Marriage Act 1946 is to immediately follow the conversion into marriage.
  • Premises where a ceremony according to the Jewish faith or the Society of Friends is to immediately follow the conversion.

The civil partnership does not have to have taken place in Lincolnshire for us to do a conversion nor do the couple need to be resident in Lincolnshire.

Need an appointment?

For your convenience, you can book an appointment to register a Birth or Death online.


Did you find what you were looking for?

Please give us your name, email address and any comments you have.

Last updated: 20 December 2017

Bookmark with:

What are these?


Powered by Webstructure.NET