Cookie Policy

This website works best using cookies. You can find out more and change your settings any time but by continuing you agree to this.

Council Services:

Apply for a bus pass

The English National Concessionary Travel Scheme allows all eligible older and disabled people to travel free on off-peak (between 9.30am-11pm Monday to Friday and all day on weekends and bank holidays) scheduled bus services anywhere in England.

The Council also allows Lincolnshire pass holders to travel free of charge on local journeys before 9.30am on weekdays.


Residency - Permanent residents of Lincolnshire. This can be proved using an official document with your name and address, e.g. Bank Statement, Utility Bill, dated within the last 6 months. Your Local Council Tax bill for the current year will also be acceptable.

Age Criteria - The age of eligibility for women will be pension age and for men it will be the pensionable age of a woman born on the same day (Directgov’s State Pension Age Calculator). Proof of Age must also be supplied by supplying one of the following Birth Certificate, Proof of State Pension, Passport, Driving Licence or Prescription.

Disability criteria - Whilst there are many types of disability only 7 are recognised for the scheme, a blue badge or higher rate DLA / PIPS would provide sufficient evidence in most cases.

  • Is blind or partially sighted
  • Is profoundly deaf or severely deaf
  • Is without speech
  • Is disabled, or suffered an injury, which has a substantial and long term effect on your ability to walk
  • Does not have arms, or has long term loss of the use of both arms
  • Has a learning disability
  • Has a moderate to severe disability and would, if applied for a licence to drive a motor vehicle, be refused due to physical fitness or other than for the misuse of drugs or alcohol.


You can apply for a concessionary bus pass in a variety of ways, either:

  • Download an application form from the bottom of this page.
  • Collect your application form from your local District Council office, library, access centre or Community Group
  • Ring 01522 873700 to request a form by post
  • Request an application form by emailing
  • Collect your application form in person from City Hall, Beaumont Fee, Lincoln, LN1 1DB

By Post

Downloaded or hard copy forms must be completed and returned by post with the relevant documents and photograph to the address on the application form. All applications should be made via post no earlier than 21 days in advance of your eligibility date. Your pass should be sent to you within 10 working days.

Concessionary Fare Office
Crown House
Grantham Street

In person

Alternatively visit the Concessionary Fares Team at City Hall in Lincoln who will be able to issue you pass whilst you wait. Your photograph can be captured at the time of application, but you must bring evidence of eligibility with you.

Opening Times

DayOpening Hours
Monday9am - 5pm
Tuesday9am - 5pm
Wednesday10am - 5pm
Thursday9am - 5pm
Friday9am - 4.30pm


There is no fee for renewing your pass and you can renew up to six months in advance of your card expiring. You will need to provide a passport sized photo taken within the last 12 months (unless you are applying in person); plus proof of residency and that you are eligible for a pass.

You can renew your Lincolnshire concessionary pass by post, by visiting City Hall, Lincoln or by email. Renewal application forms are available to download, or they are available from libraries and District Council offices.

If you would like to apply by email please send the attachments listed below to:

  • A completed application form (This can be either printed off to complete and then scanned as an attachment to your email or you can type your details on the fillable version of the application form, save to your desktop and then attach to your email).
  • A new clear photograph taken on a digital camera, mobile phone or tablet. Your photograph should be similar to a passport style photo ie it must be focused on your face and not contain any background objects, ideally taken against a light background and in colour.
  • Proof of residence in Lincolnshire dated within the last 6 months or your Council Tax Bill for the current year.

Please allow up to 28 days to receive your new pass.


If your pass has been lost, damaged or stolen, call the Concessionary Fares Team on 01522 873700 or call in at City Hall Lincoln and they will issue a replacement. There will usually be an administration charge of £10 unless your pass was stolen and you can provide a valid police crime number. Proof of Residency is required for a replacement pass.


Make all cheques payable to: 'Lincolnshire County Council' or alternatively payment can be made online.

Go to the Online Payment System and select 'Older & Disabled Concessionary Replacement Pass'. If paying online you will still need to submit proof of residency before a replacement pass can be issued.

Excluded services

  • Services where most seats can be reserved
  • Rail replacement bus services
  • Park & Ride services
  • Coach excursions and tours
  • Taxis and private hire cars
  • Trains
  • Certain seasonal services
  • Community Transport Schemes

Smart buses

To use your pass place it flat and face up onto the reader (found on the top of the ticket machine marked with a symbol) and tell the driver your destination in the normal way.

You should see a green light and hear a beep; this shows that your pass is valid. When the ticket has printed you can remove your card from the reader. You will only need to do this once when you enter the bus.

If your bus has not yet been fitted with the new pass reader, continue to show your pass to the driver as you do now. As long as you have a plastic pass with a rose symbol in the top left hand corner it should work on Smart buses.

If your pass does not work, you may need to show it to the driver. Passes will not work if they have been damaged, have expired or have been reported lost or stolen.

Replacement Card

If you live in Lincolnshire, our Concessionary Fares Team can replace your pass for you, please contact the team on 01522 873700. Alternatively you visit the Customer Services Centre at City Hall, Lincoln, Mondays to Fridays between 9.30am and 4pm and have you card replaced in person.

It you live outside of Lincolnshire County, you will need to contact the local authority who issued your pass to arrange a replacement.

Traveline East Midlands

Plan journeys within South and East England by train or bus, to or from most UK towns.


Transport helpline

Call our team if you need advice about transport for your appointments.

CALL 01522 550129

Did you find what you were looking for?

Please give us your name, email address and any comments you have.

Last updated: 7 March 2018

Bookmark with:

What are these?


Powered by Webstructure.NET