Business and consumer advice and support

Social distancing guidance for businesses

Businesses are legally responsible for following the government's current guidance regarding social distancing.

Guidance on the types of businesses that can reopen can also be found on the government website.

To protect staff and customers, businesses that reopen should manage entry into the store, only allowing a limited number of people in at any given time.

They should also put up signage to ask customers with symptoms not to enter the store, and to remind both staff and customers to always keep two metres from other people, wherever possible.

You can download the COVID toolkit to help you, your staff, and your customers.

Signs and markers on the highway

To enable businesses to manage any queues on the highway, the use of temporary markers such as chalk or tape will be permitted, but the use of any permanent markers is prohibited on the public highway.

The erection of temporary signs on the public highway is permitted to enable instruction to be provided to customers for social distancing.

These temporary signs should be placed in a suitable location near the entrance to the shop or business to avoid direct conflict with pedestrian movement on the public highway.

New signs have been approved by the Department for Transport, which could also be used in urban areas if appropriate and should be purchased from suitable traffic management or sign company.

It should be noted that any equipment placed on the highway – including any temporary signage and markers – are the responsibility of the business owner or organisation to maintain and remove.

Support from Lincolnshire County Council's highways team

All immediate highway requests – such as the potential for temporarily widening footways or closing roads – should be directed to the appropriate local county councillor in the first instance.

More significant improvements which could take months to design, consult on and install, should still be directed to the local county councillor in the first instance.

The request will then follow the prescribed development process and be considered by the appropriate Transport Strategy Board for approval.