This workshop has been developed following requests by some local schools.
Following the recent changes to the PSHE curriculum this workshop aims to give an age appropriate insight into the LGBT+ community. It breaks down and gives examples of the different labels that students might hear used in the wider world. It looks at the problems young people in the LGBT community can face and how they can supported, this runs alongside the theme of supporting our peers and avoiding using bullying behaviour. A discussion and activity is included for the students to consider the role of gender stereotyping in our society.
We discuss with the pupils what the meaning of family is and ask them to come up with some ideas of all the different families that they can think of.
With all our workshops we actively encourage the students to give their thoughts and opinions on the topic to aid their learning.
- Service Description
Positive Health Lincolnshire is a provider of sexual health and wellbeing workshops across Lincolnshire. We work in partnership with Lincolnshire Contraceptive and Sexual Health Service, Public Health Lincolnshire and Healthy Schools Lincolnshire. We deliver training to many different organisations, both statutory and non-statutory. We also co-ordinate a schools programme, delivering workshops to around 85% of the county's primary and secondary schools, and youth clubs.
- provided to all schools across Lincolnshire
- appropriate for Year 6 and 7
- can be delivered to individual tutor groups or whole year groups
- available to participate in Ace and Aspire Days
- one hour long, unless otherwise stated, although can be extended with additional activities or shorted to fit lesson times
- as a charity we have extensive experience working with the LGBT community
- the students interact more openly with an outside speaker about difficult subjects
- normalising individual lifestyle choices, and treating everyone with respect
- exploring gender stereotypes impact on society and how we can break these down
- signposting to local and national support services if needed
£60 per tutor group. We are also available to deliver to youth groups and colleges, the cost of this will vary according to group size.
- Contact and how to book