Book archives resources
If you have an existing valid County Archive Research Network (CARN) reader ticket, you can book online but you will need bring your ticket with you.
New readers can check availability but not book online. Please include the following information with any booking requests - first name, surname, full address including postcode, date and time of required booking, facility required (i.e. microfiche, PC, etc.)
You can also book by calling 01522 782040 between 9am and 5pm, Monday to Sunday, or by emailing email@example.com
If you do not have an existing reader ticket, one can be obtained in person on your first visit and will last for four years.
Replacement or renewed tickets are issued on the same basis as new tickets.
You will need to bring an official proof of identity validating your name with permanent address and signature. You may need to provide more than one item of identity in order to be validated, such as:
- Driving licence (with signature)
- Building society passbook
- Bank statement
- Pension book
- Medical card
- Disabled person’s registration
- Official letter, including correspondence with Lincolnshire Archives
- Foreign passport
- Official ID cards with an indication to how that person may be contacted
- Vehicle registration documents
- Lincolnshire library ticket (requires second ID)
- The National Archives’ reader tickets (requires second ID)
- Credit/debit/cheque guarantee cards
What resources will you need to book?
You can book more than one type of resource for the duration of your visit. When two people need to work together, you can share microfiche viewers 14 or 15 or study booth 1. Both people will need a reader ticket.
A limited number of electrical sockets is available for your laptop. When booking, please specify if you would like to use a socket.
- Microfiche (1-13)- births, marriages & deaths indexes, parish registers, census 1871, 1891, 1901, Ordnance Survey maps, IGI.
- Microfiche (14-15)- as above with space for assistant and electrical socket
- Computer (1-5) - pre 1911 baptism & burial parish registers, pre July 1837 marriages/digitised documents, room for laptop but no electrical socket, battery only.
- Microfilm 1 & 2 - census 1851, 1881, bishops’ transcripts.
- Study table (A-N) - original documents and books.
- Study table (O-R) - original documents and books, electrical sockets.
- Study table (C) - original documents and books, wheelchair height.
- Map table (1 & 2)- large documents such as maps and plans.
- Study booth 1 - British Standard Institute specified height for a wheelchair, electrical socket.
- Pre-ordering documents: You can pre-order up to six documents if you know the reference number by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. However, if you leave it until the day before your visit, the items may not actually be ready. You do not need to pre-order parish registers on microfiche, as they are self-service in the search room. Please book resources in the search room to avoid disappointment and save time on arrival. You cannot pre-order documents without a study table or booth booking.
- People’s Network Computers: Lincolnshire Archives also has People’s Network Computers which offer access to the internet and to special online resources such as free access to Ancestry.com (libraries edition), the British Library’s British Newspaper Archive and much on Find My Past.
- General enquiries: Call 01522 782040 between 9am and 5pm, Monday to Sunday, or email email@example.com