Apply for a licence to install apparatus affecting the highway

You must have a licence before you enter the highway to:

  • place and retain private apparatus
  • place a cable over the highway
  • place and retain an underground structure affecting the highway

You must apply at least one month before you would like works to start.

Each licence fee is £300.

Apply for a licence to install apparatus

Pay for a licence

Approval process

  1. We will take your payment then assess your request within one calendar month. We will contact you to discuss your works further if required.
  2. If approved, we will post you two copies of your licence. Both must be signed, witnessed and returned to us.
  3. Once we receive your signed copies, we will countersign one and post it back to you. We will also include any conditions of work.
  4. Work can only begin when you have received your countersigned licence.

Refused applications

If we cannot resolve any issues, we will refuse your application. We will return your paperwork and payment.