Cookie Policy

This website works best using cookies. You can find out more and change your settings any time but by continuing you agree to this.

Council Services:

Mobility scooters and the law

Safety information about using your mobility scooter.

You can also search a detailed directory of mobility scooters and read about the laws and legal requirements in Lincolnshire via the UK Mobility Scooters website.

Be responsible on the road

  • If your scooter has headlights, rear lights, flashing indicators and a horn make sure all are in working order.
  • You must keep to the left.
  • You must obey traffic lights and all other road signals, instructions and signage.
  • You must give way to pedestrians on crossings.
  • At night, you must have your headlights and rear lights on.
  • Although it is not recommended, only use dual carriageways if you have an extra flashing amber warning light.
  • You are not allowed to use motorways, bus lanes or cycle tracks.
  • Always indicate before pulling out or turning left or right.
  • When you are passing parked cars, look out for doors opening.
  • Be sure that you have plenty of time to carry out your actions.
  • Don’t rely on your mirror.
  • Assess whether or not it is safer to cross at a pedestrian crossing rather than on the road when turning right.
  • Only use your hazard lights if you cannot move, or if you are in a difficult or dangerous situation.
  • Do not park your scooter where it would cause an obstruction.

Using mobility scooters as a mode of transport

Classes of mobility scooter

Class 1

Manual Wheelchairs have no motorised power. The speed and direction is controlled by the user or carer

Class 2

Powered wheelchairs and scooters are only suitable for riding on pavements or footpaths, and have a top speed of 4 miles/ph (6km/ph).

Class 3

Powered wheelchairs and other outdoor powered vehicles, including scooters are suitable for riding on roads, and have a top speed of 8 miles/ph (12km/ph).

Legally, these can only be used by a disabled person aged 14 or over, or by an able-bodied person who is demonstrating, training or taking the vehicle to or from a place for maintenance or repair.

You do not need to take a test or have a driving licence for any of these modes of transport, but training or guidance on correct use is highly recommended.


Only Class 3 vehicles need to be registered with the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA). It must be licensed in the disabled taxation class, display a free disabled tax disc and be renewed every year. To register and license your Class 3 vehicle you should contact your local DVLA office, where you will receive full guidance on how to correctly register your vehicle.


Although there is no legal requirement to have insurance, it is strongly recommend that you have at least third-party cover and are covered for fire, theft, and damage. This will not only protect your vehicle but those around you, and put your mind at ease if anything untoward was to happen.

Becoming more mobile

There are various retailers in and around the County where you could purchase your scooter. Alternatively, there are mobility scooters available for free hire in Sleaford at the following venues:

Citizens Advice
The Advice Centre
Money’s Yard
Carre Street
NG34 7TW
08444 994 199

The Hub National Centre for Art and Design
Navigation Wharf
Carre Street
NG34 7TW
01529 308 710

Lincoln area a Dial-a-Ride Service
Charitable Company LTD
01522 544 983

Lincoln Shop Mobility
01522 514 477


The following files will open in their associated programs. To view PDF files on our website Adobe Acrobat Reader 5 or above is recommended. To upgrade or for help, visit the Adobe website.

Did you find what you were looking for?

Please give us your name, email address and any comments you have.

Last updated: 24 March 2017

Bookmark with:

What are these?


Powered by Webstructure.NET