Cookie Policy

This website works best using cookies. You can find out more and change your settings any time but by continuing you agree to this.

Council Services:

Speed camera data and statistics

A number of county locations have been selected for the introduction of a speed camera.

As part of the Government’s commitment to increase transparency and accountability to the public, we publish a wide range of information relating to these sites.

This page outlines collision, speed and enforcement history for those locations. This is not done to show whether a camera has or has not been successful. It is so that you can assess the information and draw your own conclusion.

We believe that there is a link between the commencement of camera enforcement and a reducing number of collisions, however it should be noted that there are a wide number of factors that could potentially affect whether a collision occurs in the future and could impact on reductions alongside or independent of speed cameras.

Possible examples that have been suggested to us include:

  • Vehicle safety improvements
  • Road engineering improvements
  • Regression to the mean
  • Weather conditions
  • Luck
  • A decrease in traffic flow caused be increasing costs associated with driving
  • Drivers making a conscious decision to drive within the posted speed limit

The figures

This table shows how the number of vehicles exceeding the speed limit falls dramatically when cameras are installed:

 Average (%) of vehicles exceeding speed limits
Speed limitBeforeAfterReduction
All sites 23% 5% 78%

There has been a significant and sustained reduction in casualties at the sites selected for safety camera operations.

Camera collision data

The camera collision document available to download at the bottom of this page outlines site-by-site comparison on casualty reduction on every camera site within Lincolnshire regarding road traffic collisions, casualties and speed. There is also a comprehensive breakdown on each individual fixed camera site.

The three-year baseline data refers to the three year period we have used to analyse whether a site was appropriate for the introduction of a fixed speed camera. This does not necessarily mean that it is the immediate three years before the camera was installed.

In the following fictional example a camera is installed and operational on the 14 November 2005. There are six steps that occur up to that point:

  1. Analysis of collision data for the County (1st April 2002 - 31st March 2005) and identify a potential site - April 2005
  2. Complete speed analysis - May 2005
  3. Engineers undertake site survey to see if any other measures are appropriate - June 2005
  4. Submit site application to DfT for approval - July 2005
  5. Receive approval - August 2005
  6. Liaise with manufacturers and contractors to order works - August 2005
  7. Site installation date - 1st  November 2005
  8. Site operational 14 November 2005

Camera offence data

The camera offences document available to download at the bottom of this page shows the number of offences at every camera site within Lincolnshire for the last 3 financial years. These are for all offences including conditional offers, high end offenders (P53) and speed awareness courses.

Frequently asked questions

Following a Road Traffic Collision (RTC), there is a raft of information you will need for your insurance company and a number of questions in relation to the collision that you no doubt want answering.

The police are likely to be involved in the investigation from the start, having attended the scene of the collision and will begin the process of establishing what happened and why?

There may be certain aspects of the collision which are very apparent, such as types of vehicles, registration numbers and road name/number. However, this can be a particularly stressful time for those involved and there are certain procedures which need to be followed and strictly adhered to.

For example, did you know that you must, by law, report the collision to the police as soon as reasonably practicable, and in any case within 24 hours?

What is a Road Traffic Collision (RTC)?

A road traffic collision is where a motor vehicle is involved in a collision on a road or public place, where someone else’s vehicle or property is damaged or any person or animal is injured.

What happens when a collision occurs?

To comply with the law it is necessary that the driver of a vehicle involved stops AND exchanges names, address, registration numbers and owner details with the other driver. Insurance details must be given to anyone who may make a claim.

If this information is not given then the collision must be reported to the police in person as soon as practicable and in any case within 24 hours.

What happens after a collision has been reported to the police?

This will depend on the nature and seriousness of the collision:

  • The police will always complete a collision report if there have been injuries.
  • The police will always complete a collision report if the other driver did not stop and there are injuries even if the details of the other vehicle are unknown.
  • The police will always complete a collision report if there are possible offences, which require investigation.

In cases of non-injury collisions, where the law has been complied with and all details have been exchanged there will be no need for a collision report, but the incident will be logged.

Will there be an investigation?

If an officer at the scene, or at a police station completes a collision report, it is then forwarded to the collision records unit for review. A decision is then made if further investigation is necessary to be able to prove any offences in a criminal court.

NOT all collisions require further investigation, as the police do not conduct enquiries in order to settle insurance claims. Insurance disputes should be dealt with by your insurers or through the civil court.

How can I obtain details of the other party including insurance?

If these details are not obtained at the scene, you should contact the collision records unit. However if the other vehicle failed to stop at the scene, details may not be available for several weeks due to the enquiries being made. Information may not always be provided due to the Data Protection Act, this includes witness details.

These cannot be provided if a prosecution is likely but once the case has been finalised your insurance company or solicitor can obtain a copy of the report for a fee.

Will I have to make a written statement?

You may have made one at the scene but this may not be sufficiently detailed. If you have not made a statement at the time or a further one is required to obtain more information, a witness questionnaire will be sent to you.

You should fully complete this form and it is important that you ensure your signature appears after the declaration on page 1 and on other pages where indicated. You should return this questionnaire in the pre-paid envelope provided within 10 days. However, even though you have completed this form it does not necessarily mean a prosecution will take place or that you will have to attend court.

Is there a prosecution in every case and who makes this decision?

No. The dedicated decision maker within the collision records unit based at Boston will review the evidence and make the decision whether prosecution is recommended. Where there is a serious offence the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS), an independent agency responsible for prosecuting cases in court will make the decision.

The decision is based on the evidence available and a prosecution will not be recommended if there is no realistic prospect of conviction or it is not in the public interest.

In come cases, Lincolnshire Police can offer a Driver Improvement Course to the offending driver. This course is aimed at educating drivers by means of theory and practical training, at a fee and is an alternative to prosecution as punishment by the courts is not always the best course of action in improving road safety. An offer of attendance on this course does not affect your insurance claim or the other party’s liability.

Will there always be a prosecution if I am seriously injured?

No. The law is complex and each case is treated individually. The decision is made on the standard of driving displayed and must be below that of a competent and careful driver not on the degree of injury sustained by any party. There must be evidence of an offence.

Will I be kept informed of any enquiry?

Yes, providing the officer at the scene has completed a collision report. You will be initially notified by the collision records unit, that the report has been received and the unique reference number allocated to your report. You will also be notified at this point if enquiries are being made or the final decision.

If enquiries are being made, you will then be kept informed of any significant developments and final outcome. You will also be notified if enquiries are still ongoing after 3 months.

Will I have to attend the court case?

If a prosecution is commenced, you will be notified of the court hearing. You will be notified of any subsequent court hearings by the witness care unit and if the other party indicates a not guilty plea you may be required to attend court. You will be notified of this by the witness care unit and guided through what happens at the court. There are witness care officers at each court who will provide help and support on the day.

How can I find out what is happening?

You can contact the Collision Records unit at Boston between 10 am and 4 pm, Monday to Friday for details such as third party insurance and the current position of the investigation. Enquiries by email are also accepted.

Do I tell my insurance company about the collision?

You should contact your insurance company promptly if you have been involved in a collision where injury or damage has been sustained.

What if the other driver is not insured?

If the other driver is uninsured or cannot be traced, the Motor Insurers Bureau may be able to help with out of pocket expenses not covered by your own insurance.

Their details can be obtained through your own insurance company of be viewing their website at or contacting their address at: The Motor Insurer’s Bureau, 6-12 Linford Wood House, Capital Drive, Linford Wood, Milton Keynes. MK14 6XT or call 01908 830 001.

What if I have not reported a collision and cannot obtain insurance details from the other driver?

Under Section 154 Road Traffic Act 1968, you are entitled to have insurance details from other persons when injury or damage has been caused due to a collision. If they fail to supply that information they may commit an offence. Usually your own insurance company will take steps if that occurs.

Can I obtain a copy of the Police Collision Report?

Yes. You will be able to obtain a copy of the report from the Collision Records Unit at Boston when the investigation is complete and all court proceedings finalised. There is a fee for the copy report and your insurance company will usually make the request.

Can my vehicle be repaired straight away?

You should check with your insurance company as to their policy. They may send an assessor to inspect your vehicle or put you in touch with an approved repairer.

Vehicle removal

If your vehicle is damaged and poses danger to other road users, the police will require it to be removed as soon as possible. It is your responsibility to do this and will normally be at your own cost.

If you require, the police can assist in recovery. If you leave your vehicle by the side of the road, the police may require it to be removed. This will be done by a police appointed recovery agent and you will be liable for the cost.

If the police have recovered my vehicle, what happens to it?

If the police have removed your vehicle from the scene of the collision because it is causing an obstruction you will be told where it has been taken. If your vehicle has been removed because it requires examination you will be informed when it will be released.



The following files will open in their associated programs. To view PDF files on our website Adobe Acrobat Reader 5 or above is recommended. To upgrade or for help, visit the Adobe website.

Did you find what you were looking for?

Please give us your name, email address and any comments you have.

Last updated: 4 April 2016

Bookmark with:

What are these?


Powered by Webstructure.NET