Cookie Policy

This website works best using cookies. You can find out more and change your settings any time but by continuing you agree to this.

Council Services:

Parents and Carers Guidance

If you are concerned about your child at school, it is important for you to first discuss your concerns with your child’s class teacher, form tutor, Headteacher or Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator ( SENCo). You can ask them to consider involving the educational psychologist.

Involving an educational psychologist with your child

An educational psychologist usually becomes involved with a child or young person as part of the graduated approach towards meeting a child’s needs, when those working with the child in their school feel puzzled about how to:

  • continue to enhance the child’s learning;
  • continue to enhance their emotional well-being; and/or
  • understand and manage their behaviour more effectively.

Following conversations between the child’s parent(s) and staff at school, the Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator may seek to access the Educational Psychology Team. We only work with, or on behalf of, a young person aged 16 or under if we have the written, signed consent of the parent(s) or guardian(s) so if the involvement of an educational psychologist is necessary, you will be asked to sign a consent form.

Being included in discussions about your child, once an educational psychologist is involved

Educational psychologists will always strive to work in partnership with you and with other key adults in order to plan appropriate interventions which will help your child. You’ll know when an educational psychologist is involved with your child, because you’ll have:

  • signed a consent form
  • been offered an opportunity to discuss your child. This is most likely to be at a Bookable EP Session in your locality or might be as part of a review meeting within the setting. More details about our Bookable EP Sessions can be found below.

Bookable EP Sessions

Under the SEND Code of Practice (2014), education settings must use their best endeavours to meet pupil’s needs. As part of the graduated approach towards meeting need (SEN Support), settings need to adopt the ‘assess, plan, do review’ cycle. The Educational Psychology Team is offering regular Bookable EP Sessions across all localities which aim to provide a forum for discussing any presenting issues, problem solving and agreeing a way forward. At the Bookable EP Sessions, if a school wishes to discuss an individual child/young person, it is essential that parents/carers are also invited to be part of that discussion. The Bookable EP Sessions will be run by Educational Psychologists usually supported by an Assistant Educational Psychologist or a Trainee Educational Psychologist.

Statutory Work

The Council has statutory functions under previous and current legislation and the Educational Psychology Team undertakes direct work with children, young people, families and schools in order to fulfil the responsibilities under the Education Act 1996 and the Children and Families Act 2014. Educational psychologists contribute psychological to Education, Health and Care (EHC) Needs Assessments agreed by the Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND) Service by providing a report known as ‘psychological advice’. The educational psychologist will always talk with parents/carers when gathering information to include in this report.

Record keeping

You will be sent a copy of any notes taken by an educational psychologist at any meetings you attend. These may be in a typed or handwritten format. Educational psychologists keep records of the young people with whom they are involved. Information is stored in paper files within our office and records are also kept electronically. Information about how information is processed can be viewed in our Fair Processing Notice available as a download below.


We welcome all feedback about our service as it helps us reflect on, and develop, our practices. We follow County Council Corporate Processes regarding feedback.
This includes:

  • Compliments: positive remarks about a service or an individual
  • Comments: suggestions or observations about services provided, or a gap in service
  • Complaints: expressions of dissatisfaction or disquiet about the actions, decisions or apparent failings of a Council service.

Customers can record compliments, comments or complaints by completing the online feedback form at or by contacting the LCC Customer Service Centre using the details below.

Feedback Team/Corporate Complaints
Serco Local & Regional Government
PO Box 841

Telephone: 01522 782060
Fax: 01522 516137
Online feedback form:


The following files will open in their associated programs. To view PDF files on our website Adobe Acrobat Reader 5 or above is recommended. To upgrade or for help, visit the Adobe website.

Did you find what you were looking for?

Please give us your name, email address and any comments you have.

Last updated: 14 November 2017

Bookmark with:

What are these?


Powered by Webstructure.NET