Cookie Policy

This website works best using cookies. You can find out more and change your settings any time but by continuing you agree to this.

Council Services:

Promoting Effective Working Relationships

We use consultation as a basis for our work with schools. It is a problem solving process which involves working together and should lead to intervention.

Assessment helps guide and inform the intervention, which aims to solve the identified problem. Schools are responsible for meeting special educational needs in their school. Educational psychologists are consultants in this process.

Working with your educational psychologist - reasonable expectations

Involvement of Parents

Informed consent of parents or carers is needed when:

  • a school plans to consult an educational psychologist and
  • the concern includes a young person or a group of young people.

Schools have a responsibility to get that consent and to complete the "Confirmation of Educational Psychologist Involvement Form". It is expected that schools give parents a copy of the "Information for Parents" leaflet and a copy of the "Fair Processing Notice". The school is responsible for inviting parents to meetings at school which will include parents, the educational psychologist and any other support agencies involved.

Meetings with young people, parents and staff

To make sure we find the best way forward for young people, we need to speak directly with those who:

  • have the greatest concern;
  • are best positioned to bring about change/solutions.

Ideally, time must be made available for educational psychologists and teachers to solve problems jointly.Schools should make sure the young person, members of staff and, where appropriate, parents are available for discussion, as agreed at any planning meeting or Bookable EP Session.


Educational psychologists need appropriate accommodation in which to talk to people. Arrangements should reflect:

  • the professional nature of the meeting
  • the importance of the meeting to the young person, his/her family and teaching staff.

Ideally, this meeting should not be subject to interruptions. It is useful to notify all staff that the room is being used. In some circumstances, however, an Educational Psychologist may ask for planned interruptions.
The ideal room has:

  • a window in the door;
  • a table and chairs appropriate for a young person and adult to work at.

Cancellation of Visits

Planned visits from educational psychologists should only be cancelled in exceptional circumstances.
Such cancelled visits can only be rearranged with the Educational Psychologist directly involved and within the constraints of their diary. Every attempt should be made to contact us when an absence is known.


Decisions about exclusions are a matter for Headteachers and Governing Bodies.
Educational psychologists have a clear role in working to maintain vulnerable children in school placements.Educational psychologists receive data about the exclusions of children with EHC Plans.

Monitoring the Quality of the Service Provided

Our Service is committed to monitoring our effectiveness and regularly reviews practice. Schools, parents and others we have worked with are encouraged to provide feedback. Each educational psychologist evaluates the quality of different pieces of work in a variety of ways. We discuss the work with children, teachers, parents/carers and other professionals. Any concerns about service issues should be discussed directly with the member of staff concerned. They are in the best position to work with you to towards resolving the situation.If concerns cannot be resolved, it may be appropriate to involve a member of our Management Team. This can be done by telephone, in person or in writing. We welcome all feedback about our service as it helps us reflect on, and develop, our practices. We follow County Council Corporate Processes regarding feedback.
This includes:

  • Compliments: positive remarks about a service or an individual
  • Comments: suggestions or observations about services provided, or a gap in service
  • Complaints: expressions of dissatisfaction or disquiet about the actions, decisions or apparent failings of a Council service.

How to record a complaint

Customers can record their complaint by completing the online feedback form at or by contacting our Customer Service Centre using the details below.

Feedback Team/Corporate Complaints
Serco Local & Regional Government
PO Box 841

Telephone: 01522 782060
Fax: 01522 516137
Online feedback form:

Did you find what you were looking for?

Please give us your name, email address and any comments you have.

Last updated: 14 November 2017

Bookmark with:

What are these?


Powered by Webstructure.NET