Cookie Policy

This website works best using cookies. You can find out more and change your settings any time but by continuing you agree to this.

Council Services:

Complaints about Schools

The Local Authority does not have any role in managing complaints about schools. If you are unhappy about something at your child’s school, then you should contact the school to discuss your concerns. You can also make a complaint to the school.


Every school in England is required by law to have its own complaints procedure. Maintained schools must publish complaints procedures on their website, and best practice guidance advises academies to do the same. You can also ask the school or academy for a paper copy of their complaints procedure.
Most schools will expect you to make reasonable attempts to resolve issues at an informal stage before taking your complaint to the formal stages in their procedure. It is very important to obtain a copy of the school’s published procedure to ensure that you are following the correct process for your child’s school.



There are certain complaints which fall outside of the general complaints procedure because there are established statutory or other prescribed procedures available. For example: staff grievances or disciplinary procedures; school admissions; exclusions; statutory SEN assessments; Child Protection procedures; public examinations; school reorganisation proposals.

Please note that school complaints procedures also do not cover complaints about other parents, but must relate to alleged actions/inactions of the school. In addition, unless there are exceptional circumstances, anonymous complaints are also not usually considered under general school complaints procedures.


If you want advice on making a complaint to a school, then you can speak to the Customer Service Centre Education Team on: 01522 782030

However, please note that the Local Authority does not have powers to intervene in individual complaints about schools. You will still need to follow the school complaints procedure and contact the school yourself.

If your child has special educational needs and your concerns are about the school’s management of those needs, you can seek advice from Liaise. Liaise is the Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) Information, Advice and Support Service (IASS) for Lincolnshire. Liaise can be contacted:

  • through the Family Information Service (FIS) Freephone number: 0800 195 1635 (available 8am-6pm)
  • by Email:


Further Appeal about Matters handled under School Complaints Procedures

If you have completed all the stages in a school’s or an academy’s formal complaints procedure and you are not satisfied with the outcome, you may refer your complaint to the School Complaints Unit at the Department for Education.

The School Complaints Unit (SCU) handles complaints about maintained schools on behalf of the Secretary of State for Education and handles complaints about academies on behalf of the Education Funding Agency (EFA).

You must generally refer your complaint in writing, either by post to:

School Complaints Unit
Department for Education
2nd Floor, Piccadilly Gate
M1 2WD
or by using the online School Complaints Form. The online form and additional information about school complaints can be accessed from:

Collect Your School Offer Online

The online admissions system is available to Lincolnshire parents who have applied online for a Reception, Junior or Year 7 place.

1 March 2018 for Secondary school offers

16 April 2018 for Primary or Junior offers


Apply Online for a School Place

Apply for a mid-year school place


Did you find what you were looking for?

Please give us your name, email address and any comments you have.

Last updated: 5 May 2017

Bookmark with:

What are these?


Powered by Webstructure.NET