Cookie Policy

This website works best using cookies. You can find out more and change your settings any time but by continuing you agree to this.

Council Services:

Elective Home Education

Elective home education is the education of your children in and around the home by yourself or by others you appoint.

The Law

As stated in Section 7 of the Education Act 1996:

"The parent of every child of compulsory school age shall cause them to receive efficient full-time education suitable

(a) to his/her age, ability and aptitude and
(b) to any special education needs he/she may have, either by regular attendance at school or otherwise."

The Duty of the Parent/Guardian

  • If you have a school-age child, he/she must be educated.
  • You can give this duty to a school or carry it out yourself.
  • The education provided must be effective and full-time.
  • It must be suitable to the child's age, ability and aptitude.
  • If your child has special education needs, those needs should be addressed.

Education can be defined as "the development of mental powers and character and gaining knowledge through the learning of new skills and following systematic instruction".

Efficient education is one which achieves what it sets out to achieve.

Likewise, Suitable education prepares the child for life in modern civilised society and enables them to achieve their full potential.

Evidence of Suitable Education

The Local Authority may ask you for information about your child’s efficient and suitable education. You can provide evidence in a number of ways.

You might:

  • write a report;
  • provide samples of work;
  • invite an inspector to your home, with or without your child being present;
  • meet an inspector elsewhere, with or without your child being present;
  • have the education provision approved by a recognised third party;
  • provide evidence in any other appropriate form.


There is no financial assistance available for Elective Home Education. To keep costs low try making full use of the library and Internet.


You do not need permission from the Local Authority to begin home education. However, you must notify the governing body of the school. This is usually done through the head teacher. The school will notify the Local Authority of your decision within 10 school days.

Your child's name will be removed from the school roll when the school has received written notification from you that your child is receiving an education elsewhere.

De-registration from a Special School

You must obtain consent from the Local Authority to withdraw you child from a special school.

This regulation allows the Local Authority to maintain their responsibility for children with special education needs.


  • Elective Home Education

    Elective Home Education Administrator

    Lincolnshire County Council



    LN1 1YQ

    Tel: 01522 553241

    Fax: 01522 553257


The following files will open in their associated programs.
To view PDF files on our website Adobe Acrobat Reader 5 or above is recommended. To upgrade for free visit the Adobe website

For help with reading pdf files please visit the Adobe Acrobat Access site

Apply Online for a School Place

Available from

11 Sept for Secondary school applications

13 Nov for Reception or Junior applications


Apply online for a Mid Year School Place


Did you find what you were looking for?

Please give us your name, email address and any comments you have.

Last updated: 24 August 2017

Bookmark with:

What are these?


Powered by Webstructure.NET