Openhive VLE Service
Your school can join the growing community of Lincolnshire schools using the OpenHive VLE service at no additional cost, if your school subscribes to the Lincolnshire emPSN broadband service. OpenHive VLE allows you the flexibility to choose the services that fit your needs.
You can start with staff-only to develop your initial use of the Portal, extend it to pupils, parents and governors. This means you can adopt OpenHive at a pace that suits your school.
For example, you can start with the Portal which gives your school community a powerful communication, collaboration and multimedia tool, which over time you can build into a fully integrated learning platform offering:
- Portal website - secure, powerful, easy to use, and integrates with Microsoft Office
- A graphic, engaging Learning module with assessment for learning tools (the VLE element)
- Hosting of a public website based on the Portal at no extra cost
- Single sign-on integration with many of the common online content learning providers, like Education City and I Am Learning
- Video and Podcasting services
- Fully integrated Video Conferencing service.
OpenHive offers the ultimate in choice and flexibility allowing schools to pick-n-mix the services that precisely meet their needs, whilst being able to adopt further functionality/services when it suits the school. Typical installations will vary between Primary and Secondary schools, but here is an outline of the key modules and what they do:
- -OpenHive Portal: This is the foundation of a school learning platform, providing tools for RSS feeds, Twitter feeds, Wikis, blogs, workspaces, document sharing, multimedia presentation, room and equipment booking, school calendars, news and announcements, quick polls, Google Earth mapping and more, all within a personalised and school-branded secure website. It is also the enabling technology that can bring together all of your ICT services in one place, with one single login providing access to all of your educational services, for example I Am Learning, Education City, My Maths, Eclipse.net, Junior Librarian integration, and many others
- OpenHive Bridge: This module automates many housekeeping elements of your learning platform, almost eliminating the need for user administration by linking with your MIS to manage and create user accounts and user logins. Bridge will also set up your new email accounts
- OpenHive Learning: Learning provides an advanced, rich and engaging VLE that fully integrates with your school Management Information System (MIS) and provides a powerful ‘assessment for learning’ toolkit. This module is the electronic learning engine, allowing the creation of lessons for pupils to complete online, whether as part of the daily curriculum, staying in touch with school via outreach lessons or simply as extension work or homework. Some elements can be auto-marked, and you can use the resources already in your school to build lessons, or deliver pre-purchased SCORM-compliant digital materials.