Types of Secondary Academies and Schools
There are different terms used to describe secondary academies and schools:
Comprehensive and Secondary Modern
- Accept children of all ability.
- Some have specialisms and select up to 10% of their pupils on the basis of aptitude for a particular subject.
- Have a non selective and selective stream.
- For your child to be considered for a place in a selective grammar stream they must take the 11+ selection tests.
- King Edward VI Academy in Spilsby is the only bilateral school in Lincolnshire.
For your child to be considered for a grammar school (or stream) they must take the 11+ selection tests. Grammar schools aim to select the top 25% of children in Lincolnshire based on academic ability. Therefore your child will need to reach the minimum qualifying standard in the tests. For further information on grammar schools, please contact your preferred grammar school or visit the Lincolnshire Consortium of Grammar schools website.
Frequently asked questions about grammar schools.