Cookie Policy

This website works best using cookies. You can find out more and change your settings any time but by continuing you agree to this.

Council Services:

Register a food business

The law requires that most food businesses are registered with the local authority for the area in which the business trades. You should register your premises with the environmental health service at least 28 days before opening – registration is free.

Further information can be found on your local District Council’s website:-

Checklist for starting up a food business:

  • Have you registered your premises?
  • Do the design and construction of your premises meet legal requirement?
  • Are you aware of the main General Food Law Requirements?
  • Do you keep written records of all the suppliers that provide you with food or any food ingredients?
  • Have you put food safety management procedures in place and are you keeping up-to-date records of these?
  • Do you and your staff understand the principles of good food hygiene?
  • Have you considered health and safety and fire safety arrangements?
  • Have you registered as self-employed?
  • Do you need to register for VAT?
  • Are you keeping records of all your business income and expenses?
  • Are you keeping records of your employees’ pay and do you know how to pay their tax and National Insurance contributions?
  • Do you describe food and drink accurately?
  • Do you need to apply for a licence to sell alcohol, for entertainment, for selling hot food and drink late at night, or selling food on the street?

For further information on starting up a food business see here:

Contact us

You can contact Trading Standards Business Development team by completing the online form:

Complete the form

Our Primary Authority Partnerships


What's New

What’s new in the world of Trading Standards?

Find out

For Consumers

Report a problem or obtain advice and guidance

Find out more

Did you find what you were looking for?

Please give us your name, email address and any comments you have.

Last updated: 8 November 2016

Bookmark with:

What are these?


Powered by Webstructure.NET