Apply for a school place

How to apply

You can apply for a school place in September online:

  • primary school admissions open on 15 November and close 15 January 2022
    • re-opens 19 April 2022 and closes 18 May 2022
  • secondary school admissions open on 8 September and closes on 31 October 2021
    • re-opens 1 March 2022 and closes 25 March 2022

When you apply:

  • you can select up to three schools, in order of preference
  • you may want to check if your child is eligible for free or post-16 school transport
  • you can amend your application at any time before the closing date
  • if you are moving house or need to change schools, read about moving school

Service personnel and crown servants

You can apply for a school place in advance of a forces move. 

You can apply within the usual deadline for Reception, Year 3 or Year 7. At any other time, you can apply six weeks in advance.

You must send us proof of your posting when making your application.

If you have been posted, We will ask the schools you apply for if they wish to offer you a place, even if they are full. You can apply using a unit postal address, forces address or private address in some cases.

If no school can offer a place, we will find you one at the closest to your new address with a space.

Get in touch with the admissions team if you need more information.

Foreign nationals

All European Economic Area (EEA) and Swiss national children have the right to enter the country to access a school.

If you hold a General, Business, or Family Visitor visa to the UK, your child cannot study at an academy, local authority-funded school or further education college.

If you would like your child to study in the UK, your child must hold a Tier 4 visa to allow them to study at an independent school.

Your child must hold the correct entry visa before you make an application for a school place.

Make or amend a school application