Apply for a school place

SEND school places

Most children and young people with special educational needs or disabilities (SEND) will have their needs met at a mainstream school or college.

If an EHC Plan is held

You can only apply for a place at a special school if your child has an Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan.

To apply for a special school, speak to the school about your child first then call us on 01522 553332.

If an EHC Plan is not held

Your child will require an EHC needs assessment so we can find out if we are able to provide school place.

If an assessment has begun, you must apply online with your chosen school or college.

By week 20 of the process, we will decide whether an EHC plan will be made.

If a draft EHC plan is issued, we will contact you to discuss your chosen schools. You can then ask them to consider a place at a special school.

School appeals

You have the right to an appeal if your child does not get a place at your chosen school.

For a child with an EHC plan, you must contact your case worker.

For a child without an EHC plan, you must follow the appeals process for mainstream schools.

To find out more about SEND school places, visit the Local Offer.