SEND school places

Most children and young people with special educational needs or disabilities (SEND) will have their needs met at a mainstream school or college.

If so, you should apply for a school place online.

If your child has an Education, Health and Care (EHC Plan):

You can only apply for a place at a special school if your child has an Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan.

If you believe that your child needs a special school please contact their SEND caseworker to discuss.

If your child does not have an EHC Plan:

Your child will require an EHC needs assessment which will confirm their level of special educational need and determine whether they require specialist provision.

If an assessment has begun, you must apply online with your chosen school or college.

By week 20 of the process, we will decide whether an EHC plan will be made.

If a draft EHC plan is issued, we will contact you to discuss your chosen schools. You can then ask them to consider a place at a special school.

School appeals

You have the right to an appeal if your child does not get a place at your chosen school.

For a child with an EHC plan, you must contact your caseworker.

For a child without an EHC plan, you must follow the appeals process for mainstream schools.