Home education

Before you begin

You are allowed to educate your child at home. This is known as elective home education (EHE) or ‘homeschooling’.

By law, you must ensure that your child gets a full-time education by the beginning of the term after their fifth birthday.

They must get full-time education until the academic year in which they turn 16. Full-time education is usually 190 days a year.

If you are thinking of EHE for your child, read the home education protocol.

For further advice, please refer to:

Who you need to tell

If you are taking your child out of school, you must speak with the headteacher. The headteacher will tell us.

If your child has never been to school or you have moved to Lincolnshire, contact [email protected] or call 01522 782030.

You do not have to tell us but we will contact you if we think your child is not being educated. 

Special schools

You cannot take your child out of a special school without our agreement.

Part-time schooling

You can ask a school to teach your child part-time. This is known as ‘flexi-schooling’.

The headteacher does not have to accept your request.