How school fines are issued
We may issue parents or carers with a Fixed Penalty Notice if their child is absent from school without permission. This includes:
- any absence marked in the register as unauthorised
- arrival at school after the register has been taken
- a holiday in term-time, which has not been agreed by the headteacher
The school must have referred the matter to us.
Fixed Penalty Notices are issued per parent, per child and are an alternative to prosecution.
The current penalty is:
- £60, if paid within 21 days
- £120, if paid between 21 and 28 days
After 28 days we may prosecute you.