Sleaford Railway Station
Sleaford can trace its roots back to the Doomsday Book. Walk around Castle Field tracing the outline of the 12th century castle or visit St Denys’ Church whose 144ft stone spire towers over the market place. The Hub, a national centre for craft and design, is the latest chapter in the town’s development.
The most prominent church in Sleaford is the parish church of St. Denys - the church abuts the market place, where markets are regularly held. The church has one of the oldest stone broach spires in England, and mostly dates from 1180, but parts of the church were rebuilt after an electrical storm in 1884. The altar rail (originally from Lincoln Cathedral) is by Sir Christopher Wren. The church is also known for its stained glass, elegant traceried windows, and carved heads.
Cogglesford Water Mill (open to the public), on the banks of the River Slea, dates from the 17th century. It is Lincolnshire’s last working water mill, and is of national importance in terms of the history of watermills, possibly being the last working Sherriff’s Mill in England. It is probably on the site of an earlier Mercian estate mill. The house where the mill worker would have lived is now a restaurant.
Sleaford’s Bull & Dog pub (formerly the Black Bull) is from 1689 according to a date-stone set in its front wall, and is said to have the oldest surviving bull-baiting pub sign in England.
There is a large 1796 windmill in the town centre, Money’s Mill, although now without any sails. Other town landmarks include the Handley Monument and the ruins of the town’s castle.
The Bass Maltings are set to be redeveloped. Sir Nikolaus Pevsner considered the huge brewing malthouses to be Lincolnshire’s most important industrial architecture, stating in his Buildings of England book: “For sheer impressiveness, little in English architecture can equal the scale of this building. A massive four-storey square tower is in the centre of a line of eight detached pavilions. The total frontage is nearly 1,000 feet.”
Train Operator: East Midlands Trains
Ticket sales: 08457 125 678
Tourist Information Centre: Money’s Yard, Tel: 01529 414 294
Reproduced from the 1996 OS Mapping with the permission of the Controller of Her Majesty's Stationery Office (C) Crown Copyright. Unauthorised reproduction infringes Crown Copyright and may lead to civil proceedings. OS LICENCE 100025370