We have employed the Equality Act 2010 definition of a disability.
Lincolnshire has further defined children with disabilities adding:
- the child may be vulnerable because they have ongoing health needs arising from the disability, which require nursing care and supervision
- the child may be vulnerable in ordinary day to day situations without the supervision because of his or her disabilities
- the child may have a level of physical dependency in terms of his or her day to daycare needs which substantially impacts upon the family or carers
- the child may have behavioural or emotional difficulties arising out of his or her disability
Children may be assessed through our Early Help team, Social Care teams and/or the Children with Disabilities Team.
In order for a child or young person to be considered for support from the Children with Disabilities Team, a number of things are considered.
Disabled children meeting eligibility for specialist services will usually be in receipt of high rate DLA in care and mobility components.
Appropriate referrals to the team would include:
- severe learning disabilities
- severe physical disabilities
- severe developmental delay in motor and/or cognitive functioning
- profound multiple disabilities
- children will have a severe, substantial, and permanent disability or life-threatening or life-limiting illnesses
- children and young people who fall on the severe end of the Autistic spectrum with an associated learning disability
Children with the following diagnosis can be referred to other appropriate teams or agencies:
- ADHD / ADD
- ME (Myalgic Encephalomyelitis) or Chronic Fatigue
- Asperger's syndrome
- Oppositional defiance disorder
- Social conduct disorder
- Foetal Alcohol Syndrome
The main needs of some children centre around emotional or behavioural development or mental health. They can be referred or signposted to other appropriate teams or agencies who can best meet their needs. For example:
- Early Help teams
- Social Care Teams (previously known as FAST)
- Early Support Co-ordination Team
- Lincolnshire Local Offer