Drains and flooding
The county council carries out regular checks to reduce the risk of flooding on the highway:
- All gullies and kerb offlets are checked and cleaned once a year
- All manholes are inspected once a year and cleaned if debris is found
Exceptional rainfall can lead to blockages and flooding even when drains are in good working order.
Additional cleaning is carried out in response to reports from the public.
To find timescales for inspections and repairs, download the Highways Asset Management Plan.
We will only accept reports that are our responsibility. We are not responsible for:
- Public sewer or burst water main: Call your relevant water company (Anglian Water on 0845 7145145 or Severn Trent Water on 0800 783 4444).
- Private sewer or drain: Call a drainage contractor. If you’re unsure whether it’s a public or private sewer, call your relevant water company.
- Water service pipe or internal pipework: Call a plumber or, if you rent, your landlord.
- Main river: Call the Environment Agency on 0845 933 3111 or Floodline on 0845 988 1188.
- Large watercourse (not a main river): Contact your internal drainage board.
Smaller watercourses are usually the responsibility of the home or landowner. District or borough councils can serve legal notices to deal with any obstructions.