Cookie Policy

This website works best using cookies. You can find out more and change your settings any time but by continuing you agree to this.

Council Services:

Drains and flooding

The county council carries out regular checks to reduce the risk of flooding on the highway:

  • All gullies and kerb offlets are checked and cleaned once a year
  • All manholes are inspected once a year and cleaned if debris is found

Exceptional rainfall can lead to blockages and flooding even when drains are in good working order.

Additional cleaning is carried out in response to reports from the public.


To find timescales for inspections and repairs, download the Highways Asset Management Plan.

We will only accept reports that are our responsibility. We are not responsible for:

  • Public sewer or burst water main: Call your relevant water company (Anglian Water on 0845 7145145 or Severn Trent Water on 0800 783 4444).
  • Private sewer or drain: Call a drainage contractor. If you’re unsure whether it’s a public or private sewer, call your relevant water company.
  • Water service pipe or internal pipework: Call a plumber or, if you rent, your landlord.
  • Main river: Call the Environment Agency on 0845 933 3111 or Floodline on 0845 988 1188.
  • Large watercourse (not a main river): Contact your internal drainage board.

Smaller watercourses are usually the responsibility of the home or landowner. District or borough councils can serve legal notices to deal with any obstructions.

Highway defects

Discovered highway defects such as potholes, lighting, flooding, signage, obstructed roads?


Constructing a dropped kerb

Request permission to construct a dropped kerb/vehicular crossing to an existing property.


Get in touch

General enquiries for highways, transport and environmental services.


Did you find what you were looking for?

Please give us your name, email address and any comments you have.

Last updated: 20 March 2018

Bookmark with:

What are these?


Powered by Webstructure.NET