Cookie Policy

This website works best using cookies. You can find out more and change your settings any time but by continuing you agree to this.

Council Services:

Grit bins and snow clearing

The county council provides and refills almost 1,900 grit bins for the public, parish and town councils to use on a self-help basis.

We do not routinely grit or salt footpaths. However, during severe weather, we work closely with a range of local organisations to clear some steep and well-used pavements.

Grit bins

We provide grit bins in a variety of locations throughout Lincolnshire for residents to use. If you notice one of the grit bins is running low please request a grit bin refill.

We will only approve a request for a new grit bin if we believe it’s in a suitable spot which will benefit as many people as possible.

If you are a business, parish council or residents’ association that wishes to request a grit bin, call 01522 782070 or use the general highways enquiry form.

Snow clearing

The council only clears snow which settles at depths likely to cause disruption to transport.

Snow which falls at a depth of less than 25mm (1 inch) is typically dealt with, using salt or brine, on our gritting routes. If prolonged snowfall is predicted, our gritters will be fitted with ploughs.

For advice on safely clearing snow and ice yourself visit the ‘law on clearing snow and ice from public spaces’ page.

We may also call upon farmers and contractors to provide suitable vehicles and drivers to assist with snow clearance. If you wish to apply to help us with this, complete both the application and insurance forms below, then email them to

If you cannot submit copies of policy documents, the insurance form must be endorsed by your insurance company or brokers to confirm the necessary cover is in place.


The following files will open in their associated programs. To view PDF files on our website Adobe Acrobat Reader 5 or above is recommended. To upgrade or for help, visit the Adobe website.

Highway defects

Discovered highway defects such as potholes, lighting, flooding, signage, obstructed roads?


Constructing a dropped kerb

Request permission to construct a dropped kerb/vehicular crossing to an existing property.


Get in touch

General enquiries for highways, transport and environmental services.


Did you find what you were looking for?

Please give us your name, email address and any comments you have.

Last updated: 11 December 2017

Bookmark with:

What are these?


Powered by Webstructure.NET