Cookie Policy

This website works best using cookies. You can find out more and change your settings any time but by continuing you agree to this.

Council Services:

Install apparatus affecting the highway

You must get a licence from the county council before you can enter into the highway to:

  • Place and retain private apparatus
  • Place a cable over the highway
  • Place and retain an underground structure affecting the highway

Applications must be made at least one month in advance of the date which works are required to take place and must meet the requirements of the New Roads and Street Works Act 1991 (NRSWA).


When applying online, you will also need to select the appropriate form and send the following documents to before your application can be processed:

  • An accurate location plan (minimum 1:2500 scale)
  • Valid supervisor and operative accreditation details
  • Evidence of valid public liability insurance to a minimum of £5 million

Alternatively, download and complete the appropriate application form below and send, along with the documents above, to Executive Director for Environment and Economy, Lancaster House, 36 Orchard Street, Lincoln, LN1 1XX

A £300 private licence fee must be made at the time of the application. This can be paid online, by cheque made payable to Lincolnshire County Council or by providing your debit or credit card details over the phone. Call 01522 782070 (8am to 6pm, Monday to Friday).

Approval process

  1. When you submit an application, we will check your documentation, assess your request and bank your payment
  2. We will contact you if any information or documents are missing. We may also contact you to discuss your works further, if required
  3. We will send you two copies of the private licence. Both must be signed by you, witnessed and returned to the council
  4. When we receive your signed copies we will countersign them. We will then send your licence documents, together with any conditions of work, within one month.
  5. Works can only begin when you have received your licence documents

Refused applications

If it’s not possible to resolve any issues or conflicts, your application will be refused and you will be unable to carry out your proposed works. Your paperwork and payment will be returned to you.

For further information and queries, call 01522 782070 (8am to 6pm, Monday to Friday).


  • Network Regulation Compliance

    Lincolnshire County Council

    Environment and Economy

    Lancaster House

    36 Orchard Street, Lincoln

    LN1 1XX

    Tel: 01522 782070

    Fax: 01522 516042



The following files will open in their associated programs. To view PDF files on our website Adobe Acrobat Reader 5 or above is recommended. To upgrade or for help, visit the Adobe website.

Pay for your Licence Online

Use our online service to pay for your Skips, Scaffolding and Hoarding or Road Opening Licence (except street cafe permissions).

Order Online

Highway Permit Scheme

'A Highway Permit Scheme now exists in Lincolnshire.

Learn more

Did you find what you were looking for?

Please give us your name, email address and any comments you have.

Last updated: 13 October 2017

Bookmark with:

What are these?


Powered by Webstructure.NET