Cookie Policy

This website works best using cookies. You can find out more and change your settings any time but by continuing you agree to this.

Council Services:

Street lighting

The county council provides around 68,000 street lights which primarily light the public highway, although there is no statutory duty for us to do so.

County council-owned lights have a black number with a yellow background on them. These are routinely inspected for faults but we appreciate the public reporting issues too

Between April 2016 and March 2017 we invested £6.4M in our Street Lighting Transformation Project in order to save £1.7M every year.

As part of the Transformation Project we implemented part night lighting* in many parts of the County. This is when the lights are normally switched off around midnight and back on around 6am if light levels require it. We are currently undertaking a review of the impact of part night lighting in the County. As part of this review we would like your views.


There are also many lights in the County for which we are not responsible:

  • Around 14,500 street lights are owned by district, town and parish councils
  • Lights within the grounds of schools and health authorities
  • Privately-owned outdoor lights

*Please note that part-night lights have sensors that monitor the number of daylight hours, which is how they set their internal clock. During the changes between British Summer Time and Greenwich Mean Time there will be a period of adjustment lasting several days where the lights may turn off earlier or later than usual. This is not a fault and is a normal part of how the lights operate.


After reporting a fault to us, we aim to:

  • Fix emergency faults where street lights are in a dangerous condition within two hours of the contractor being made aware of the issue
  • Fix non-emergency faults within ten working days, unless there is an electricity supply issue in which case we are reliant on the relevant electricity Distribution Network Operator  

If you are unable to report a fault online, please call 01522 782070 (8am to 6pm, Monday to Friday).

Outside office hours, if your fault presents an immediate danger, please call the police on 101.


The following files will open in their associated programs.
To view PDF files on our website Adobe Acrobat Reader 5 or above is recommended. To upgrade for free visit the Adobe website

For help with reading pdf files please visit the Adobe Acrobat Access site

Highway defects

Discovered highway defects such as potholes, lighting, flooding, signage, obstructed roads?


Constructing a dropped kerb

Request permission to construct a dropped kerb/vehicular crossing to an existing property.


Did you find what you were looking for?

Please give us your name, email address and any comments you have.

Last updated: 17 November 2017

Bookmark with:

What are these?


Powered by Webstructure.NET