Cookie Policy

This website works best using cookies. You can find out more and change your settings any time but by continuing you agree to this.

Council Services:

Abnormal loads

An abnormal load is a vehicle that has any of the following:

  • a weight of more than 44,000 kilograms
  • an axle load of more than 10,000 kilograms for a single non-driving axle and 11,500 kilograms for a single driving axle
  • a width of more than 2.9 metres
  • a rigid length of more than 18.65 metres

To transport an abnormal load along Lincolnshire County Council highways, you must give us at least two clear days' notice as well as police and any bridge/structure owners along the proposed route.

If the temporary removal of street furniture is required (eg bollards, guardrails etc) the council will require eight weeks' notice. The cost of these works must be paid by the party requesting them.

For routes which include the A1, the A46 Newark to Lincoln and the A52 west of the A1, you will need to give notice to Highways England.

You can use Highways England's electronic service delivery for abnormal loads (ESDAL) to:

  • plot your route
  • notify all highways authorities, police and bridge/structure owners on your route
  • get advance notice of any possible route problems
  • save vehicle details and routes for future use

If you don't use ESDAL you must fill in an abnormal loads movement application form.

Lincolnshire County Council uses to a notify the public of planned roadworks.

You can contact us by emailing or calling 01522 782070.


The following files will open in their associated programs. To view PDF files on our website Adobe Acrobat Reader 5 or above is recommended. To upgrade or for help, visit the Adobe website.

Information about parking enforcement


Pay or challenge a PCN, apply for a Blue Badge and find out about parking enforcement.


Highway defects

Discovered highway defects such as potholes, lighting, flooding, signage, obstructed roads?


Constructing a dropped kerb

Request permission to construct a dropped kerb/vehicular crossing to an existing property.


Get in touch

General enquiries for highways, transport and environmental services.


Did you find what you were looking for?

Please give us your name, email address and any comments you have.

Last updated: 6 March 2017

Bookmark with:

What are these?


Powered by Webstructure.NET