Cookie Policy

This website works best using cookies. You can find out more and change your settings any time but by continuing you agree to this.

Council Services:

Apply for a dropped kerb

A dropped kerb, or crossover, is a lowered kerb that allows you to access your driveway from the road by driving across the pavement.

You will need the consent of the county council, as highways authority, to build one.


When your request has been received, a highways officer will contact you.

On A, B and C roads, you must obtain appropriate planning permission from your district council. You do not need to do this on 'unclassified' roads.

If planning permission has already been obtained, or is not required, the officer will arrange a site visit to ensure that your proposal does not present a safety hazard. If you are required to modify your plans, this will be discussed with you at this time.

If alterations are required to the immediate area surrounding a property, they must be approved by the homeowner. If you live in a rented property, you must get approval from your landlord.

Once the highways officer approves your proposal, you will be sent the relevant forms.

When the council has received your completed forms, you will be sent confirmation of the agreed specification for your proposal.

Your contractor must complete and return the form detailing their public liability insurance before starting work. They must also be accredited as safe and competent to work on the highway, in accordance with the New Roads and Streetworks Act 1991.

Once work is complete, a highways officer will check that the work has been undertaken to the agreed standards. The crossing itself will remain part of the highway and will be the county council's responsibility.

For further information, email or call 01522 782070.

Did you find what you were looking for?

Please give us your name, email address and any comments you have.

Last updated: 8 February 2018

Bookmark with:

What are these?


Powered by Webstructure.NET