Cookie Policy

This website works best using cookies. You can find out more and change your settings any time but by continuing you agree to this.

Council Services:

Temporary road closures

The county council can temporarily close roads and divert traffic to cater for:

  • Road maintenance or bridge repairs
  • Requests from utility companies or third parties for essential works
  • Events affecting the highway (eg street party, village fete, Christmas market etc)

Road closures for demonstrations involve the police. If you intend to hold a procession or demonstration which will affect a road or highway, you need to contact Lincolnshire Police Event Planning department to inform them of your plans (01522 558033). In the event of road closures being required to facilitate a march, the event organiser will need to contact Lincolnshire Highways to obtain the necessary permissions and will need to source appropriate signs and Marshalls to enact the closures."

Signed diversion routes are put in place to ensure that a suitable route is followed by all traffic. These are available to view on

Statutory notices about all planned closures are published in local newspapers and letters are sent to district and parish councils, police, other emergency services and bus companies.

Neither bus operators, nor the council, can guarantee normal bus services during temporary road closures but every effort is made to keep disruption to a minimum.

Emergency road closures may take place when there is an immediate danger to the public, such as road subsidence or collapsing buildings.

Apply for a temporary road closure

Businesses or individuals must give the county council a minimum of 13 weeks' notice of the restriction required and agree to meet the full costs.

Applicants must agree to all requirements outlined in the 'notes' section of the form.

We will review all applications as quickly as possible and respond accordingly.

For all other queries about temporary road closures, email


The following files will open in their associated programs. To view PDF files on our website Adobe Acrobat Reader 5 or above is recommended. To upgrade or for help, visit the Adobe website.

Information about parking enforcement


Pay or challenge a PCN, apply for a Blue Badge and find out about parking enforcement.


Highway defects

Discovered highway defects such as potholes, lighting, flooding, signage, obstructed roads?


Constructing a dropped kerb

Request permission to construct a dropped kerb/vehicular crossing to an existing property.


Get in touch

General enquiries for highways, transport and environmental services.


Did you find what you were looking for?

Please give us your name, email address and any comments you have.

Last updated: 28 July 2017

Bookmark with:

What are these?


Powered by Webstructure.NET