Temporary road closures
The county council can temporarily close roads and divert traffic to cater for:
- Road maintenance or bridge repairs
- Requests from utility companies or third parties for essential works
- Events affecting the highway (eg street party, village fete, Christmas market etc)
Road closures for demonstrations are dealt with by police.
Signed diversion routes are put in place to ensure that a suitable route is followed by all traffic. These are available to view on roadworks.org
Statutory notices about all planned closures are published in local newspapers and letters are sent to district and parish councils, police, other emergency services and bus companies.
Neither bus operators, nor the council, can guarantee normal bus services during temporary road closures but every effort is made to keep disruption to a minimum.
Emergency road closures may take place when there is an immediate danger to the public, such as road subsidence or collapsing buildings.
Apply for a temporary road closure
Businesses or individuals must give the county council a minimum of 13 weeks' notice of the restriction required and agree to meet the full costs.
- Download the application form for a temporary traffic restriction
- Send the completed form to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applicants must agree to all requirements outlined in the 'notes' section of the form.
We will review all applications as quickly as possible and respond accordingly.
For all other queries about temporary road closures, email email@example.com