Fire safety in HMOs

You must contact your district council to get a licence for a House in Multiple Occupation (HMO).

To find out what types of premises count as an HMO, visit the Residential Landlords Association website.

If you are a landlord of an HMO, you can find out about the required fire safety standards on

If you are unsure of the status of your property or its fire precautions, contact your district council.

You can also email for advice.

If we believe there is a serious risk to the occupants, we will serve you a notice. This will prohibit or restrict the use of the building.

Lincolnshire fire and rescue logo full colour large