Getting married abroad

If you are getting married or forming a civil partnership outside of England and Wales, different rules will apply depending on the country where your ceremony will be held.

It is your responsibility to find out what you must do to ensure your marriage or civil partnership will be legally recognised in the UK.

The authorities in the country where you are planning to hold your ceremony will advise what legal paperwork they require before it can take place.

As long as your marriage or civil partnership is valid and legal in the country it took place, it should be recognised in the UK. If you need clarification on the legality of your ceremony, please consult a solicitor.

To find out which documents you may need and how to apply for them, please visit Getting married abroad - GOV.UK.