Explains how we operate and make decisions.
The purpose of the Constitution is to:
- enable the Council to provide clear leadership to the community in partnership with members of the public, businesses and other organisations;
- support the active involvement of members of the public in the process of local authority decision-making;
- help Councillors represent their constituents more effectively;
- enable decisions to be taken efficiently and effectively;
- create a powerful and effective means of holding decision-makers to public account;
- ensure that no one will review or scrutinise a decision in which they were directly involved;
- ensure that those responsible for decision making are clearly identifiable to local people and that they explain the reasons for decisions; and
- provide a means of improving the delivery of services to the community.
- View document