Enjoy a circular walk through the villages and surrounding farmland. Billinghay lies 17 miles south-east of Lincoln and nine miles north-east of Sleaford. Both villages sit on a ridge of sand and gravel giving excellent views across The Fens and towards The Wolds. These mainly level walks use tracks, field paths and quiet lanes
5.5 miles (nine kilometres)
- Starting point
Grid ref TF 155 549
- Walk along Victoria Street to West Street and turn left.
- At the school, cross the road and follow the public footpath along the side of the school field. Follow this path behind the houses and along a field edge. Cross the track in front of the farm building and bear slightly right across the next field to a concrete trig. point. Cross the next field by aiming towards a footpath post to the left of the telegraph pole. Bear slightly right across the next field, towards the red-roofed house, to a bridge. Cross the bridge, turn left and follow the hedge to the road.
- Turn left and walk into Billinghay.
9. Turn right down Sprite Lane, past the water tower. Follow the lane as it turns into a track and runs along the edge of New Cut Drain. Continue in the same direction, with the drain on your left, when the track finishes.
10. Cross the wooden bridge and follow the path through the thicket of hawthorn, blackthorn and elder.
11. Follow the path along the field edge. Cross the bridge in the hedge line and turn left to continue to follow the same hedge. The village of Walcott should now be in view. Follow the public footpath down the side of the farm yard to the road, and turn right. Turn left down School Lane and then right along The Smoot which runs behind the school to the High Street, opposite the church.
12. Turn right along Walcott High Street.
13. At the end of the village take the public footpath on the left along a track. Leave the track as it bends to the left and continue in the same direction across the field, heading for the middle of the small woodland, to a bridge in the hedge line. Cross the next field by bearing right and heading for the left corner of the woodland. Then keep the trees on your right and follow the edge of the woodland to the Car Dyke.
14. Cross the Dyke and the next field by heading half way between the bungalow and the telegraph pole to its right, to a footpath sign and the road.
15. Turn right and follow the road, Gravelhill Drove into Billinghay.
16. At the T-junction turn right, past the schools, and turn left onto West Street. Turn right onto Victoria Street to return to the starting point.
- Download map
Suitable for families with older children.
- Facilities available on this walk
- Features of this walk
- Map of starting point