On this circular walk you will experience both town and country taking in some of the historic streets of Boston, planted woodlands and walking beside both a river and a man-made drain.
6.5 miles (10.4 kilometres)
- Starting point
Grid reference TF 328 438
- Leave The Guildhall and turn right. Cross the Market Place and turn left along Church Lane (in front of the statue of Herbert Ingram near St Botolph's church).
- Walk over the pedestrian bridge and turn immediately right. Follow the riverside path, signed to the marina.
- At the Grand Sluice bridge turn left and cross the road and the railway line, and then turn right along Witham Bank West to continue alongside the river and past the marina.
- At the Rowing Club continue straight on along the path beside the river. After approximately 0.9 miles (1.4 kilometres) leave the river bank along a footpath, down a slope to a road.
- Turn left along the road. At the far end of the car park turn right into Beech Wood taking the right-hand path.
- Follow the surfaced path through the wood and around to the left past some wooden sculptures.
- Where the path divides into two turn right and then right again and follow the path past a pond and then on to another car park and road.
- Turn right and walk along the road, past Grange Wood, another Boston Woods Trust woodland. You can take a detour around the wood.
- At the first small roundabout continue straight on.
- At the second roundabout again continue straight on.
- Turn right along Langrick Road, signed Coningsby.
- After 450 metres turn left across the bridge and over the North Forty Foot Drain and follow this road past sports grounds to its junction with the A52.
- Use the pedestrian crossing to cross the A52 and then turn right.
- At the roundabout turn left over the level crossing. Immediately after the crossing and before the drain turn left along the public footpath. Follow this path beside the South Forty Foot Drain. After crossing a pedestrian bridge continue along the path to a junction with a road.
- Turn right, and follow the road to a junction with the busy A16.
- Turn right and cross the drain and then use the pedestrian crossing to cross the road and then continue straight ahead alongside the drain and towards the Black Sluice.
- At the junction with a road turn left along London Road, which becomes the High Street. Walk past the Swing Bridge, and over the level crossing to a junction with the A16. A distance of 900 metres (0.5 mile)
- Cross the A16 at the pedestrian crossing. Turn right and cross the High Street and then the river.
- Turn left along South Street to return to the starting point.
- Download map
- Accessibility and suitability
Has no stiles or livestock.
- Facilities available on this walk
- linked to public transport
- Features of this walk
- historical interest
- wildlife interest
- Map of starting point