On this circular walk you will experience both town and country taking in some of the historic streets of Boston, crossing fertile fenland fields and walking beside both a river and a man-made drain. The route is shown in red on the drawing.
Six miles (9.5 kilometres)
- Starting point
Tourist Information Centre and The Haven
Grid reference TF 328 438
- Leave The Haven and TIC and turn right. Cross the Market Place and turn left along Church Lane (in front of the statue of Herbert Ingram).
- Walk over the pedestrian bridge and turn immediately right. Follow the river bank, signed to the marina.
- At the Grand Sluice bridge cross the road and the railway line, and continue alongside the river and past the marina.
- After approximately 1.25 miles (two kilometres) (and at a fence line) leave the river bank down a slope to a road opposite one of Boston Woods Trust's recently planted woods, Beech Wood. It is well worth making a detour and exploring this woodland.
- Turn right along the road for approximately 300m before turning left along a public footpath beside a drain.
- At the road (Punchbowl Lane) turn left and follow it for approximately 1000m or 07.5 mile.
- As the road bends to the left continue straight on over the pedestrian bridge crossing the North Forty Foot Drain. Follow this road to its junction with the A52.
- Use the pedestrian crossing to cross this busy road and then turn right.
- At the roundabout turn left over the level crossing. Immediately after the crossing and before the drain turn left along the public footpath. Follow this path beside the South Forty Foot Drain. After crossing a pedestrian bridge follow the path between the two fences to a junction with a road.
- Turn right and follow the path under the road bridge and beside the drain.
- At the junction with a road turn left along London Road, which becomes the High Street. Walk past the Swing Bridge, and over the level crossing to a junction with the A16.
- Cross the A16 at the pedestrian crossing. Turn right and cross the High Street and then the river.
- Turn left along South Street to return to the starting point.
- Download map
Has no stiles.
- Facilities available on this walk
- linked to public transport
- Features of this walk
- historical interest
- wildlife interest
- Map of starting point