This circular walk explores the town centre and some of the quieter and interesting areas of Boston town. The walk will take you beside the river, alongside a drain, through a town park and an old cemetery where wildlife is encouraged, past a windmill and a historic bridge. The walk uses town paths and is level. There are no stiles. The walk goes through the cemetery where dogs are not allowed.
3.75 miles (six kilometres)
- Starting point
Tourist Information Centre and The Haven
Grid reference TF 328 438
- Leave the The Haven and TIC and turn left.
- At the traffic lights turn right and cross the river over Haven Bridge.
- Turn right along the High Street. Follow this road to cross the river again and enter the Market Place.
- Turn left and walk in front of the Assembly Rooms and along Church Street.
- At the junction with Church Lane turn left and cross the pedestrian bridge over the river. Turn immediately right (signed Marina) to walk beside the river.
- At the junction with a road turn right and cross the river at Boston Lock and the Grand Sluice. Follow the road as it bends to the right along Tattershall Road.
- At the traffic lights continue straight on along Witham Place.
- Turn left along Red Lion Street and walk past a former Methodist chapel on your left, marked with a blue plaque.
- At the crossroads walk straight on along Norman Avenue. At the corner enter Central Park.
- Turn left and follow the path around the edge of the park. At the far end of the park leave by the gates, turn right and cross the road with care.
- At the traffic lights turn left along Robin Hood’s Walk. Continue straight on as it becomes Marian Road.
- Enter the cemetery (no dogs allowed) and walk straight on along the road. Carry straight on at the mini roundabout. Follow the road as it bends to the right past a small cemetery chapel and war memorial. Enter the older part of the cemetery and look out for another old chapel on your right. Leave the cemetery at the gatehouse.
- Turn left and cross the road and then the footbridge over the Maud Foster drain. Turn right and follow the drain towards Boston town centre.
- Walk past Hospital Lane footbridge and Maud Foster windmill.
- At the traffic lights turn right, cross the road, and then turn left to cross the main road (A16) at the pedestrian crossing and continue straight on to continue walking alongside the drain.
- At the next bridge, Vauxhall Bridge, turn right.
- At the traffic lights turn left and cross the road, and then cross the main road (A16) at the pedestrian crossing. Walk straight ahead through the gap in the wall. Turn left, along Main Ridge West. Look out for the Masonic Hall on the left.
- At the end of the road turn left to enter Pump Square. Turn immediately right to walk along the edge of the square and walk straight on along Dolphin Lane to the Market Place.
- Turn left and walk along South Street. Take a few moments to admire the range of buildings in the Market Place including the Assembly Rooms and Exchange Buildings. There are several notable buildings along South Street. A short detour down Spain Lane will take you to Blackfriars Art Centre. Return to South Street and turn left to continue the walk and return to the starting point.
- Download map
Suitable for wheelchairs/pushchairs.
- Facilities available on this walk
- linked to public transport
- Features of this walk
- historical interest
- wildlife interest
- Map of starting point