This circular walk explores the town centre and some of the quieter and interesting areas of Boston town. The walk will take you beside the river, alongside a drain, through a town park and an old cemetery where wildlife is encouraged, past a windmill and a historic bridge. The walk uses town paths and is level. There are no stiles. The walk goes through the cemetery where dogs are not allowed and which is closed overnight.
3.75 miles (six kilometres)
- Starting point
Boston Guildhall and Tourist Information Centre
Grid reference TF 328 438
- Leave the guildhall and turn left.
- At the traffic lights turn right and cross the river over Haven Bridge.
- Turn immediately right along the High Street. Follow this road to cross the river again using Town Bridge and enter the Market Place.
- Turn immediately left onto Fish Hill and walk in front of the Assembly Rooms and straight on along Church Street.
- At the junction with Church Lane turn left and cross the pedestrian bridge over the river. Turn immediately right (signed Marina) to walk beside the river for approximately 500m.
- At the junction with the main road turn right and cross the river at Boston Lock and the Grand Sluice. Follow the road as it bends to the right along Tattershall Road.
- At the traffic lights continue straight ahead along Witham Place for approximately 200m.
- Turn left along Red Lion Street.
- At the crossroads walk straight ahead along Norman Avenue and past the Centenary Methodist church. At the corner enter Central Park.
- Turn left and follow the path around the edge of the park. At the far end of the park leave by the gates, cross the road turn right.
- At the traffic lights turn left along Robin Hood’s Walk. Continue straight on as it becomes Marian Road.
- Enter the cemetery (no dogs allowed) and walk straight on along the road. Carry straight on at the mini roundabout. Follow the road as it bends to the right past a small cemetery chapel and war memorial. Enter the older part of the cemetery and look out for another old chapel on your right. Leave the cemetery at the gatehouse.
- Turn left and then right across the footbridge over the Maud Foster drain. Turn right and follow the drain towards Boston town centre.
- Walk past Hospital Lane footbridge and Maud Foster windmill.
- At the traffic lights turn right and cross the main road (A16) at the pedestrian crossing. Walk straight ahead to continue walking alongside the drain for approximately 430m.
- At the next bridge, Vauxhall Bridge, turn right over the drain.
- At the traffic lights cross the main road (A16) ahead at the pedestrian crossing. Walk straight ahead through the gap in the wall. Turn left, along Main Ridge West. Look out for the Masonic Hall on the left.
- At the end of the road turn left to enter Pump Square. Turn immediately right to walk along the edge of the square and walk straight on along Dolphin Lane to the Market Place.
- Turn left and walk along South Street. Take a few moments to admire the range of buildings in the Market Place including the Assembly Rooms and Exchange Buildings. There are several notable buildings along South Street. A short detour down Spain Lane will take you to Blackfriars Art Centre. Return to South Street and turn left to continue the walk and return to the starting point.
- Download map
- Accessibility and suitability
There are no stiles or livestock.
Suitable for wheelchairs/pushchairs.
Dogs are not allowed in the cemetery. The cemetery is closed overnight. To check opening times go to visit their website
- Facilities available on this walk
- linked to public transport
- Features of this walk
- historical interest
- wildlife interest
- Map of starting point
- Further Information