A circular walk which follows some of the waterways of Boston including The Haven, the Hobhole drain and the Maud Foster drain. It also passes through two nature reserves (Havenside and Hobhole Bank). A great walk to see a variety of wildlife. The walk uses drain and river side paths which may be muddy in places. The route is shown in red on the drawing.
12 miles (19 kilometres)
- Starting point
Tourist Information Centre and The Haven
Grid reference TF 328 438
- Leave the Guildhall and turn left.
- At the traffic lights and crossroads continue straight ahead along South End. After 250 metres turn left along Skirbeck Road.
- Cross the Maud Foster Drain and turn right along Windsor Bank.
- Climb onto the bank next to the sluice and turn left along the road. After approximately 30 metres bear left off the road to follow the path beside the pond.
Turn right in front of the church along the public footpath. Cross the road and continue along the bank beside The Haven. Continue to walk along the bank of The Haven, through Havenside Local Nature Reserve (LNR), past the sewage works and to the Pilgrim Fathers memorial, in total approximatey two miles.
- Continue along the river bank and walk past the Jolly Sailor. Turn left to join a lane. Turn right and then left along a public footpath beside the Hobhole Drain.
Follow the path alongside the drain and through the nature reserve to a road.
- Cross the road and continue along the public footpath beside the drain.
- At the next road, continue straight on again.
- At the next road junction continue straight on again alongside the drain.
- The next road you come to is the busy A52. Cross the road with care, turn left and then right along Bakers Lane.
- After approximately 1000m, and just before a bridge, turn left along the public footpath beside Cowbridge Drain.
At the junction with a road continue straight on beside the drain.
- The next junction is with the busy A16 road. Cross the road with care and continue straight on along the public footpath.
Cross the railway line with care and continue straight on for approximately 150m to a junction of paths.
- Take the left hand path.
- Before reaching the road and in front of the house, turn left following the public bridleway along a track
- At the road continue straight on beside the Maud Foster Drain. Cross the railway line with care.
- Turn right at the junction with Hospital Lane to cross the drain using Hospital Bridge. Turn left along Horncastle Road.
At the junction continue straight on along Wide Bargate and into the town centre and onto Bargate and Market Place.
Continue straight on through the Market Place and onto South Street to return to the starting point.
- Download map
- Facilities available on this walk
- linked to public transport
- Features of this walk
- historical interest
- wildlife interest
- Map of starting point