This circular walk is set in the ancient parish of Bracebridge, close to Lincoln. The route takes in a former monastery, an old orchard, a delightful church and the river Witham.
Three miles (five kilometres)
- Starting point
The Priory Centre
Grid reference SK 971 694
- Leave the Priory Centre and turn right along St Catherine’s (the main road).
- After approximately 150m cross the main road, at the pedestrian crossing, and walk up Cross O’ Cliff Hill. You will walk over the bridge that crosses the old Honington railway line. Continue up Cross O’ Cliff Hill past the Priory Academy entrance. It is worth taking a short detour into Cross O’ Cliff Orchard (its entrance is marked by an information board), a Local Nature Reserve and old orchard.
- Turn right along a public footpath, beside Orchard Walk. Follow the path straight ahead and through a copse.
- At the end of the copse continue straight ahead along the bottom of the field for approximately 200m to the second junction of paths (ignoring the first path on the right). Turn right and immediately left along the field edge, keeping the hedge on your left.
- After approximately 300m, at the second footpath sign turn right, downhill, towards the houses and church tower. Look out for the cathedral and castle on the skyline to your right. As you approach the houses you will cross the old railway line again. Follow the road straight on past a line of mature trees, including horse chestnut and lime, to a junction with Brant Road, with All Saints church on the left.
- At the junction turn right and continue to the traffic lights at the junction with Newark Road.
- Using the pedestrian crossings, cross Newark Road. Turn left and cross the river.
- At the end of the pub car park turn right onto the public footpath and cycleway and after approximately 50m turn right to follow the path along the banks of the River Witham. As you follow the river enjoy the changing views of Lincoln cathedral and castle on the skyline.
- Continue to follow the riverside path to the second bridge. Turn right to cross the river. Continue past Bargate Sluice and walk straight ahead in front of the houses to join the main Newark Road.
- Turn right along Newark Road to return to the Priory Centre.
- Download map
- Accessibility and suitability
Has no stiles. Suitable for families with children.
- Facilities available on this walk
- linked to public transport
- Features of this walk
- historical interest
- wildlife interest
- Map of starting point