Enjoy a circular walk around this small market town and surrounding farmland, set in the Lincolnshire coastal plain. With a high proportion of grassland with hedges, ditches, and drains there is a wide range of farmland birds to look out for. These level walks use surfaced paths, tracks and field paths and may be muddy in places. The walks start from Burgh le Marsh which lies five miles (eight kilometres) west of Skegness on the A158.
1.25 miles (two kilometres)
3.75 miles (six kilometres)
- Starting point
Burgh le Marsh
Grid reference TF 501 651
- Leave the Market Place, turn left and cross the High Street in front of the Bell Inn and walk up Church Street past the Museum and Library. Follow the path diagonally across the churchyard.
- Leave the churchyard, turn left and take the public footpath on the left just before the path rises. Keep straight ahead on this path until you reach a road.
- Turn right and follow the road At the road junction turn right, then left along Wildshed Lane. After approx 250m there is a public footpath on each side of the road.
- For the shorter walk turn right and bear right across the field to a stile and post in the hedgerow. Continue in the same direction towards the corner of the next field heading for the old mill. Go between the bungalows and turn right on reaching the road. Follow the road as it bends to the left and joins the main road. Turn right and walk past Hanson’s windmill, now a private house. Follow the roadside path back to the Market Place. For the longer walk turn left and walk beside the hedgerow to the end of the field. Cross the bridge, turn right and follow the hedgerow and ditch to the field corner. Turn right and then immediately left and cross the field to the left of the house. Cross into the next field and walk between the ponds. Continue ahead between the house and bungalow to reach a road.
- Cross the road and follow the footpath opposite by bearing left to the corner of the field. Cross the next field by bearing slightly right, taking care through this marshy field, to reach the first of three footbridges. Cross the bridges and walk straight on along the edge of the field to a green lane.
- Turn right and follow the lane to a road.
- At the road turn left and after approx 100m turn right onto a public footpath. Cross the field by bearing slightly right to a footbridge and footpath sign that will come into view.
- Cross the bridge and walk straight ahead across the field to a stile. Bear slightly right to cross the next field to a road.
- Turn right and after approximately 100m turn left onto a public footpath.
- Follow the path with the ditch and then hedgerow on your right for approximately 150m.
- Follow the path through the first large gap in the hedge and cross the field by bearing diagonally left to the hedge and then follow the hedge to the field corner. Turn left and follow the path beside the ditch.
- At the footpath sign turn right and follow the hedgerow Continue straight on along the track. At the junction with another track continue ahead in the same direction. Follow the track into the field and bear left towards the fence and old windmill. Go through the hedge and bear left to the corner of the orchard and down a narrow path to a road.
- Turn left, and at the main road turn right, past Hanson’s windmill. Follow the roadside path back to the Market Place.
- Download map
Both walks use a mixture of surfaced paths, tracks and field paths, it may be wet and muddy in places. You may encounter stiles on these walks.
- Facilities available on this walk
- linked to public transport
- Features of this walk
- historical interest
- wildlife interest
- Map of starting point