Enjoy a circular walk in and around these two pretty rural villages that lie at the edge of the Trent and Belvoir Vales and close to the border with Leicestershire. The walks use village and field paths to visit Denton Reservoir, the Grantham Canal, and Denton and Harlaxton villages. The walks start at Denton which lies approximately three miles (five kilometres) south west of Grantham.
3.5 miles (5.5 kilometres)
four miles (6.5 kilometres)
- Starting point
St Andrew’s Church
Grid reference SK 865 325.
- From the church follow the road around to the right and past the school. Go straight on at the first junction and at the second turn left onto Casthorpe Road.
- Approximately 100m after the cottages, cross the stream and turn right onto the public footpath and follow it along a track and across the field to the far right hand corner up a bank. Cross a track (the old mineral railway line) and carry straight on beside the the feeder stream to the reservoir. Walk 3/4 of the
way around the reservoir (approximately0.5 miles or 800m).
- Turn left onto a public footpath which goes down some steps and across a bridge. Carry on in the same direction between two hedges and then along a field edge/track. At the field corner go over the bridge ahead and follow the footpath across/around the field to the far corner. Go through the gap in the hedge. The Grantham Canal is now on your left.
- For the shorter walk turn right following the restricted byway. Go through a field gate to join a track which will lead you uphill to the road. Cross the road (take care crossing this busy road) and walk down Rectory Lane to the corner and turn right onto West End. Rejoin the walk directions at point 7 .
For the longer walk carry straight on alongside the canal to the road and turn right.
- At the crossroads, with the A607, go straight on (take care crossing this busy road) onto Harlaxton High Street.
- Walk past the shop and turn right up some steps onto a footpath opposite the telephone box and village cross, to the church. Follow the path to the left hand side of the church and out of the churchyard. Continue on in the same direction along the field edge, through a yard and across another field, bearing slightly to the left, to a gate onto a road.
- Cross the road and walk along West End and continue straight on through a gate to a field. Bear diagonally right across the field aiming to the right of the line of trees in the hedge, to the main road. Cross the road with care and take the footpath opposite diagonally left across the field. At the old railway line turn right then almost immediately left and continue in the same direction over a footbridge. Bear right across the field to the far right hand corner. Follow this path back to Denton Main Street.
- Cross the road and follow the public footpath between two cottages almost immediately opposite. Cross the bridge and continue straight on under the horse chestnut trees to a gate. Turn right down the road and follow the public footpath on the left behind the school, to return to the church.
- Download map
The walks use village footpaths and field paths to visit Denton reservoir, the Grantham Canal and two pretty villages. Mostly easy level walking with one gentle incline, it may be muddy in places. There are stiles on both routes and you are likely to encounter livestock.
- Facilities available on this walk
- Features of this walk
- historical interest
- wildlife interest
- Map of starting point