These circular walks offer the opportunity to experience a variety of landscapes. Walk through the foothills of the Wolds and visit the southernmost alder carrs, or walk across the fertile fenland fields and enjoy the open landscape and big skies. Mostly level walking it may be muddy and uneven in places. East Keal is located on the A16 two miles (three kilometres) south-west of Spilsby.
Three miles (five kilometres)
- Starting point
The General Store
Grid reference TF 097 169
- Walk down Church Lane, past St Helen’s church and the Old Rectory and onto two gates and a stile. Follow the bridleway as it runs alongside the hedge to another gate and stile.
- Keep on the bridleway, which bears left, across the field to a gate, stile and then sign. Follow the bridleway, by keeping the fence and hedge on your right, to a gate and two footbridges.
15. Follow the farm track up hill into Toynton All Saints. Follow Watermill Lane to Main Road with the church facing you.
16. Turn left and follow the road, past the converted windmill on the right, for approximately 400m and take the footpath on the left between some lodges which are part of the Linkage Community College Campus and Toynton Hall. The path bends to the right and then runs parallel to the road, initially between a hedge and fence, and then becomes what is known locally as Avenue path, which leads to the busy A16 road.
17. Cross the road with care and follow the bridleway straight ahead. Follow the track for approximately 0.75 miles (one kilometre) to where the bridleway and a footpath cross.
18. Turn left onto the footpath and cross the stream. Approximately 50m after the stream take the footpath on the left and bear left across the field to the far corner.
19. Enter Keal Carr Nature Reserve and follow the footpath along a boardwalk and up some steps to a large sycamore tree.
20. Follow the footpath sign out of the reserve and walk along the fence line for 50m before turning left across the field heading towards the new farmhouse and barns on the far side of the A16.
21. At the A16 turn right and follow the roadside path back towards East Keal.
22. Take the public footpath on the left opposite the road signed to Old Bolingbroke. At the corner of the field turn right to return to Church Lane and the starting point.
- Download map
- Accessibility and suitability
All the walks use field paths, tracks and lanes. There are some short inclines.
- Facilities available on this walk
- Features of this walk
- wildlife interest
- Map of starting point