This circular walk crosses attractive undulating countryside and visits pretty villages, passing the site of a medieval settlement. The walk uses tracks and quiet lanes, it may be muddy in places. You are likely to encounter stiles and livestock on this walk.
4.5 miles (seven kilometres)
- Starting point
Grid ref: TF 071 336
- Leave the Market Place at the corner by the church and walk along West Street for approximately 500m.
- Turn right onto Walcot Lane.
- After approximately 200m take the public footpath on the left diagonally across the playing field to a gate in the fence. Continue on in the same direction by bearing diagonally right across the field, keeping to the right of the telegraph pole and heading for the two large oak trees in the hedgerow. At the hedge, turn left and follow the field edge to a bridge.
- Cross the bridge and walk straight ahead across the field, to a bridge. Cross the next field by bearing diagonally right to a bridge. Bear slightly left to cross the narrow field. Turn left and follow the hedge to the field corner.
- Cross the bridge, turn right for approximately 50m before turning left across the field to the hedge. Bear diagonally right across the next field, heading towards the left of the spire of Pickworth Church. As you reach the brow of the hill a stile will come into view beside the houses. Cross the stile and turn right to a road.
- To visit Pickworth village turn left.To continue the walk turn right along the road. After approximately 100m
take the public footpath on the left. Cross the ditch and turn right along the hedge and ditch.
- At the next field bear slightly left to a bridge that will come into view. Cross the bridge and head for another
bridge visible ahead. After this bridge turn right to a stile in the hedge. Walk straight across the next fieldkeeping roughly parallel with the stream to a stile in the hedge. Bear right and continue in the same direction to a bridge. Cross the bridge and bear slightly right to the field corner and bridge. Cross the bridge and walk ahead to the field corner, gate, stile and road.
Bear left to follow the road into Walcot village.
At the village green take the road on the right, signed to Folkingham.
After approximately 0.5 miles (800m) turn left onto a public footpath. Bear diagonally right across the field
heading to the left of the church tower, to a bridge in the hedge.
Bear diagonally left to cross the next two fields and head to the right of the telegraph pole. At the field corner walk straight across the next field to a bridge that will come into view. Continue straight ahead past the houses to a road.
- At the field corner walk straight across the next field to a bridge that will come into view. Continue straight ahead past the houses to a road.
Turn left to return to the Market Place.
- Download map
- Accessibility and suitability
Suitable for families with children.
You are likely to encounter stiles and livestock.
- Facilities available on this walk
- Features of this walk
- wildlife interest
- Map of starting point